[SOLVED] i7 5930K with 32 Gb RAM

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. My PC has a i7 5930K running at stock. I would like to ask about how many cores I should assign to boot in Msconfig to get the best boot up speed. And if I assign all 12 cores, will it affect other applications running subsequently? Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Wow. That is an incredible.....wall of text. Leave the box blank. Like I said in the beginning and like everybody has echoed. It is ONLY there for troubleshooting problems, not for performance related tuning, not for faster or slower boot speeds. It's there for troubleshooting only. Period. LOL.
Everything in MSConfig is there for troubleshooting purposes only (eg to try and nail down the cause of a problem). Otherwise you leave it alone as has already been stated.

Consequences of messing with it could leave your PC unbootable, then you might not be able to get back in to MSConfig to undo your changes, necessitating in a full reinstall of Windows.

Talking from experience, trying to out-smart the scheduler is a bad idea, unless you have hard evidence for particular use cases. All configuration options in Windows (and Linux and Mac) are there for you to tweak and diagnose (maybe learn?), but most often than not, you will be breaking things instead of making them better.

So, my honest advice is: play with it, see what works and doesn't; just make sure you remember the original configurations to restore them if you mess with something. Live and learn as they say!

Cheers!

The is no benefit to the boot process by disabling cores. None. That setting is best left alone in ALL use cases that I am aware of. I cannot imagine a single use case where disabling cores would be of any benefit to the boot process, or in Windows for that matter. Even if you wanted to disable cores for the purpose of a high overclock on only a few cores, which really doesn't offer the kinds of benefits that it USED to back when most software showed little gain from multithreading, it would STILL be best done in the BIOS rather than tampering with the msconfig CPU settings. Leave it as it is or you will just be creating problems that have no reason to exist.

May I ask why? If I shouldn't change anything there, why it is there?

There are many diagnostic sockets 'there" on automobiles, but anybody with a touch of common sense wouldn't go sticking things into them without knowing exactly WHY they were sticking things into them AND you would only stick the APPROPRIATE things into them (Diagnostic connectors from a scan tool or other diagnostic machine with the proper connections), at the appropriate time, when necessitated by a diagnostic light or poor performance. Most people wouldn't do it just to be doing it.

Last edited:
I can think of a few cases, but they're so minimal and specific that it just doesn't make sense to limit the cores as a general purpose rule. In Linux it does make sense under certain weird CPUs, so...

And you never broke the house radio just to see what was inside? Or opened up the computer when you were a kid to the same end? I did, I got grounded, but I learned a lot; even fixed a few things :D

There's no danger of losing one's life for toying around with your OS options to see what happens. Worst case, you'd wipe your harddrive, burn the harddrive or some other component  ̄\(ツ)/ ̄

If the OP is ok with that, why not?

Cheers!

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you for all your comments. I am not being disrespectful but yes, like a kid, an inquisitive 59 yr old one. I asked how many cores should I set it to. By default, the box is blank. Does that mean that the OS will control that? I remember that a few years ago, there was a problem with some game (I cannot remember what the game was now), and the suggestion was to set this to 1 and see what happened. This was how I learned that this setting exists. I didn't have that problem with regards to that game. But I did play around with it by selecting a different number of cores and see what happen. I found that for a slow machine, it seems to boot up quicker. Not a lot, just a touch. By the way, I never managed to "kill" any machine by doing this, 5 of them, if I remember correctly.
The reason why I want to find out a bit more about this is that I was planning to build a new machine with i9 9900k, 32 Gb RAM (3000 or 3200 Mhz), either an ASUS MAXIMUS Hero or EVGA mobo with Z390 chipset, GTX 2080Ti (single or SLI), 2 TB NVMe boot drive, 6 TB data drive, 1000W gold or platinum PSU, and water cool the whole system or just the CPU, a 32" Gsync monitor, most likely an ACER one. Unfortunately, this plan has gone up in smoke now due to workplace going through restructuring and I may not have a job in a few months time. So, I try to find out a bit more if I can do with my current system so that it will last another few years, allowing to play at high setting. I know I won't be able to get ultra setting with this route.
My current system is i7 5930K with Noctua NH-D9L with two Noctua fans, 32 Gb 2666 MHz, EVGA X99 Classified Mobo, 2 TB Samsung 860 SSD (boot), 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (Steam and GOG game files), 1 x 3 TB WD (black) data drive, 1 x 6 TB WD (black) Acronis backup drive, 2 x 1080Ti in SLi (air cool), 1300W Gold EVGA PSU, Corsair 780T case and ASUS PG278Q monitor. Majority of the components were bought in 2015. The WD drives were upgraded a couple of times over the year to get to the current state. The 1080Ti were bought beginning of this year when the price came down after the 2080 series became available. I have just bought an EVGA CPU watercooler but haven't installed it as I was thinking about water cooling the whole thing. The current case will require some butchering due to the hard drive bays at the back of the front panel. This prompted me to think if I am changing it, what about... yes... no.. oh dear... Toys to boys... an old boy I should say.
Please please please, don't scold me. I know that my current system is decent already. But as an old man with still a bit of boyish thinking. Ok, I know that this ray tracing stuff is a sort of rich man thing. Comparing the range of graphics cards with their offer of technologies, sort of like comparing a sandwich to a cuisine. I accept a sandwich anytime, but every now and then, I can't help of thinking, oooh, I fancy a bit of Chinese, or Thai, or French, or Italian, or just a nice piece of steak. That is how I feel about gaming. Of course, this is all down to budget. Anyway, sorry, I digress. I would like to know how bad the bottleneck if there is one if I swap my two 1080Ti with a 2080Ti. I am playing Metro Exodus at optimized setting done by NVidia Experience, getting 100+ fps. I have finished Shadow of Tomb Raider already without any problem. Though the fps was not as high as Exodus, getting between 60 to 80+. I don't know. It seems that the surrounding in Tomb Raider is busier than Exodus. The CPU temp peaked at 71 with Exodus but for Tomb Raider, it peaked at 80 degrees Celcius. That was the reason I bought the EVGA CPU watercooler, cheaper than Corsair though. I welcome all constructive suggestion. Thanks in advance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes leave the processor box blank, Windows will self manage. Setting any number of cores shouldn't affect load speed at all. Msconfig is usually meant to diagnose a problem and not generally to enhance performance.

Older games may be sensitive to the amount of cores and i know Farcry4 is, the game wont run with more than 16 threads. Modern games since shouldn't have this problem.

Wow. That is an incredible.....wall of text. Leave the box blank. Like I said in the beginning and like everybody has echoed. It is ONLY there for troubleshooting problems, not for performance related tuning, not for faster or slower boot speeds. It's there for troubleshooting only. Period. LOL.

Solution