i7 5960x or 6700k

BossMFNFoxx

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hey all,

So I'm finally building a PC for myself. Done my research and have been slowing wittling away my options. Now, I know I'm looking at the two top end products, but let me tell you what I'm coming from. Intel core duo 2, 4GB RAM, Windows Vista, HP Pavilion DV4 Notebook PC.

For the past few years in college I've been forced to use the Computer Lab desktops to complete my CS homework. Quite frankly, I'm sick of it. And im ready to build a big, bad machine that will last me for some years to come, just as my tiny engine that could has.

Back on topic, I am an engineering student, and will eventually be running some more extensive applications such as CAD, 3D rendering, and the such. I've been forced to fall out of the PC gaming world because of my systems shortcomings, and want none of these things to be an issue any time soon.

That being said, since Skylake seems to be the future, would it be wise going this route? I'll be building it over the next few months, so $$ isn't a huge issue.

EDIT: Probably also worth mentioning I will be using it as my primary entertainment system on a 60" 4K Sharp.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
3D render ? CAD and other engineering programs ?

5960x will benefit you since all of the above can use 8 cores ; however it is 1000 $ alone and the x99 chipset is expensive .
6700k is a strong CPU and will be enough for you for years to come

So in rendering / engineering 5960x will finish large projects much faster than the 6700k
In gaming 6700k will be higher 1-5 fps than the 5960x ; not something .

If you have much money go for 5960x , If you do not or you will push your limits / reduce other parts DO NOT GET THE 5960x

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

It is the same just less 2 cores same as the 5820k too .
When it comes to pricing with intel , there is no competition from AMD with anything higher than the lowest i5 cpu
So intel can go with sky high prices on the chips easily .

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

I think you will only benefit from those extra 12 PCI lanes if you are planning in doing a SLI system, so if you have the i7 5960X with a max # of PCI lanes of 40 you can run both GPU's in PCI-E 3.0 X16, instead of 1GPU in PCI-E 3.0 X 16 and the other GPU in PCI-E 3.0 X8 and in some cases both GPU's will run in PCI-E 3.0 X 8, really depends how many your CPU max # of PCI express lanes supports. Also, I don't think you will see a massive performance increase with both GPU's in X16 instead of both GPU's in X8 (please correct me if I am wrong)