I7 620M 2 66GHz

mturbo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a laptop for consulting and occasional travel that is custom built with these specs:

i7 620M 2.66GHz 160GB SSD 4GB 14.0HD+(1600x900) WLAN BT 512MB Cam

I would like a laptop with a longer battery life -- say 5+ hours. I'm concerned that the i7 will drain the battery and/or that I"m buying more than I need.

I'm excited about the solid state hard drive...

I switch between multiple programs (basically MS Office, the internet and one or two other downloaded programs -- nothing hard core) so maybe the i7 is too much for me?

This laptop is "refurbished" and is priced at $1400. What do you think?

Thanks

Yup, the laptop is way over your needs.....
If you are basically only going to be using the laptop for the internet and ms office than you might as well go for a New Nettop with everything maxed and the SSD.....
That'll work out to half the cost of this refurbished rig with extended warranty .....

i5 430m based laptop, something like ...

HP Pavilion dv7-4040sa Entertainment Notebook PC
Intel Core i5 (430M) 2.26GHz Processor with 3MB L3 Cache Dual Core HT
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
17.3 inch HD+ (High-Definition) LED BrightView (1600 x 900) Display
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with 512MB DDR3
HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone (VGA Low-Light)
LightScribe DVD±R/RW SuperMulti SATA Optical Drive with Double Layer Support
Bluetooth Wireless Technology
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Remove HDD and put in a cheap external USB caddy for use as a backup drive when home. Stick a SSD in the laptop, and use Truecrypt to protect contents. As a bonus you also get finger print login protection, I know a gimmick, but looks cool to customers.

You can use this to watch movies when in a hotel and play games at reasonable frame rates if you fancy it.

Price should be around £600.