Jul 6, 2019
Hello! I was just wondering if its normal that my CPU (i7 6700) idles at around 60 degrees... My room temp is currently around 26 degrees . I have heard that 6700 usually idles at around 35 degrees and I have no idea why is my CPU twice as hot. Im using a pretty big cpu cooler with a heat sink. What can I do to reduce the temperature?

Thanks!

2gpu.png

cpu.png

66341418-454073705415672-501912218967736320-n.jpg

Solution
You are using balanced power plan. If a core isn't being actively used, it's basically put to sleep, so you'll see it bounce considerably at idle periods, depending on what core is being used.

Idle temps are a reflection of case airflow vrs cpu fan speeds vrs coming efficiency.

In power settings, advanced, change minimum cpu usage from 5% to 8%, that should help with some of the bounce.

In bios or motherboard software, see what your fan curves are at and adjust the low end to a more appropriate setting. This means both cpu and case fans, get some air moving at idle speeds.

Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard website. This includes audio, Lan, USB family, Sata, pcie, IME etc. Windows updates...

kmendezp

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Well that's not normal. Check the quality and the way you had applied the thermal paste. I think that the first column is the current info right? if I am right then the current frequency of your processor isn't normal for idle tasks, for example my I7 while using chrome an things like that is usually in 800 to 2000MHZ and have temps of 25 degrees, while yours is almost at max frequency. Maybe you change something in the bios so the processor is always at its turbo frequency, you could check that as well.

Reactions: Kokodaka
Jul 6, 2019
I have no idea what is going on. I turned off and again on turbo boost in Intel's Exteme Tuning Utility and now Temperature idles at around 40 degrees. However CPU frequency is now jumping from 800Mhz to 3400+ Mhz every few seconds.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are using balanced power plan. If a core isn't being actively used, it's basically put to sleep, so you'll see it bounce considerably at idle periods, depending on what core is being used.

Idle temps are a reflection of case airflow vrs cpu fan speeds vrs coming efficiency.

In power settings, advanced, change minimum cpu usage from 5% to 8%, that should help with some of the bounce.

In bios or motherboard software, see what your fan curves are at and adjust the low end to a more appropriate setting. This means both cpu and case fans, get some air moving at idle speeds.

Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard website. This includes audio, Lan, USB family, Sata, pcie, IME etc. Windows updates can disrupt motherboard drivers operation, so leading to funky results.

See what your cores are actually doing, any loads like windows store, malware, running processes or services. You assume you are at idle because you aren't doing anything, but that doesn't mean the pc isn't either.

Solution

kmendezp

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
I have no idea what is going on. I turned off and again on turbo boost in Intel's Exteme Tuning Utility and now Temperature idles at around 40 degrees. However CPU frequency is now jumping from 800Mhz to 3400+ Mhz every few seconds.
Those jumps are normal, is like a little processor boost for normal task, also I think that 40 could be a normal temp taking in account the temperature where you live.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most cases with decent airflow will have cpu idle @ 6-12°C higher than ambient on average, so 40°C is a little on the high side, but close enough. It can be brought down, but Alot depends on what processes and services, startup running apps and windows stuff op wants/needs/has going on.