i7 6700 to ryzen 2600x?

Apr 27, 2018
I'm wondering if I should upgrade my i7 6700 (non-k) to a ryzen 5 2600x. I currently do a lot of gaming and multitasking, which I know gaming won't go up much fps (maybe 1-2) but is this overall worth it?

Solution
More of a side grade and some loss on IPC. Usually you want to wait until you'll see a significant improvement. Unless you are maxing out all the cores and could really use more, then I would say go straight for the r7-2700X.

Or wait for some architectural change that is worth it. ie DDR5, PCIe 4.0, massive increase in bandwidth between PCH and CPU.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

No

save up a bit more and go i7 8700k setup or wait for the next platform releases

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
More of a side grade and some loss on IPC. Usually you want to wait until you'll see a significant improvement. Unless you are maxing out all the cores and could really use more, then I would say go straight for the r7-2700X.

Or wait for some architectural change that is worth it. ie DDR5, PCIe 4.0, massive increase in bandwidth between PCH and CPU.

Solution
Apr 27, 2018
Main reason I would like to upgrade too is because I have a prebuilt dell computer, which most of the parts are custom because I upgraded them, except the motherboard which I would like to do as soon as possible. I'd suppose it is better though to wait for DDR5 or anything new.