[SOLVED] I7-6700 with a 1080ti Strix

Dezy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
So Ive recently discovered that I’m unable to have 144Hz in the new COD Mw. My idea was to upgrade my 1060 6gb to a 1080ti Strix OC. I informed myself and then some Questions/Problmes occurred.

Powersupply: I have a 500w be quiet Pure Power 9, is that enough ? In my pc are also ASUS Essence STX Soundcarte, Wlan Module, USB hub, 1tb hdd, M2 Sdd 500gb and a DVD.
Is my I7-6700k 3.4 ghz not strong enough for the 1080ti ? And if what should I do ?
If my Idea dosent make any sense, pleas give a alternative.
My Setup
I7-6700
H170 pro Gaming
MSI 1060 6gb
2x 8gb DDR4-2133 RAM
Storage: 1x 1TB HDD 1x M.2 SSD
Soundcart: ASUS Xonar Essence STX2
DVD Optical Drive
W-Lan:Asus PCE AC56 PCie
USB 3.0 4x extern Controller
500w bequiet Pure Power 9
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 300
Lightning: 30cm LED
Win10 64bit

Last edited:
Solution
What FPS do you get now? What is the gpu and cpu (on each core/thread) usages?

With your current system if you drop your resolution to 720p does your FPS significantly increase?

Before looking to upgrade for a specific game you need to work out what the limiting factor is in that specific game.

A 6700k and 1080Ti is a good combo but every system will bottleneck in certain circumstances. It is possible you are either cpu or gpu limited. Please also list full pc spec. You also would want a higher quality 600w or greater psu for a 1080Ti. Neither the quality or the wattage rating of your current psu are what I would recommend running such a card on.

With your current system if you drop your resolution to 720p does your FPS significantly increase?

Before looking to upgrade for a specific game you need to work out what the limiting factor is in that specific game.

A 6700k and 1080Ti is a good combo but every system will bottleneck in certain circumstances. It is possible you are either cpu or gpu limited. Please also list full pc spec. You also would want a higher quality 600w or greater psu for a 1080Ti. Neither the quality or the wattage rating of your current psu are what I would recommend running such a card on.

Solution

Dezy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019

Do you have a Guide for that because I’m limited on knowledge with Pc.

You can use a program like MSIAfterburner to monitor cpu, gpu usages and FPS. There are lots of YouTube videos with instructions on how to use this program. This is a very useful piece of software and knowledge for anyone with a gaming pc, it is worth taking the time to learn.

Reactions: Dezy
the 6700K is still adequate for most games (minus streaming), but, many newer games could easily have issues trying to maintain high frame rates adequate for a 144 Hz refresh rate...; 1440P res just means the GPU will likely also struggle more than it would at 1080P for the newest mega-detail games. (If on a Z170/Z270 board, many would hit 4.7 GHz or higher on all cores, undoubtedly gaining several FPS here and there... (500 extra MHz never hurt anyone!)

If you lower the res and quality/detail to 1080P/medium and are satisfied framerate-wise, then your CPU is adequate. If your minimum FPS is still inadequate even then, it might be time to plan for a complete revamp.

Dezy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
the 6700K is still adequate for most games (minus streaming), but, many newer games could easily have issues trying to maintain high frame rates adequate for a 144 Hz refresh rate...; 1440P res just means the GPU will likely also struggle more than it would at 1080P for the newest mega-detail games. (If on a Z170/Z270 board, many would hit 4.7 GHz or higher on all cores, undoubtedly gaining several FPS here and there... (500 extra MHz never hurt anyone!)

If you lower the res and quality/detail to 1080P/medium and are satisfied framerate-wise, then your CPU is adequate. If your minimum FPS is still inadequate even then, it might be time to plan for a complete revamp.
So I have a H170 pro Gaming and should I go for Overclocking or buy a new CPU ? And play/use 1080p on a 27 Zoll 1440x2550 is not nice if we mean the same thing.

Last edited:

Dezy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019

Which PSU would you recommend?