i7 6700hq too hot after ssd replacement and OS clean install

ssdBoy

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Hi there! I just got a Samsung 850 evo 250 gb and i installed it on a Asus N552VX laptop, replacing a toshiba 1tb 5400 rpm hdd. Doing so, i did a win 10 clean install on the ssd and updated the usual drivers.
Now for the differences i cannot explain: i use this laptop for some light gaming, like dota 2. So then i go on and try it, to my big surprise the cpu temps rump up in a minute or so and so does the fan speed (i used to have those temps and fan speed after, like, 2 hrs gaming before).
First steps i've taken from there?
-check again gpu drivers, updated (worth noting i used DDU right after the win 10 install to start fresh with the gpu drivers, a mistake?, i dunno really)
-go to Asus support and see if there was anything useful for my laptop model, so i:
*updated the bios
*installed Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver
*installed Intel INF Update Driver

Nothing, the situations stays the same.

Now for some temps:
-idle cpu 20-30 celsius degrees
*after 2 mins in game cpu goes 65-70+ degrees celsius
-gpu 50ish degrees 2 mins in gaming
-ssd about 30 degrees idle and gaming too

The change in cpu temp is not abysmal (less than 10 degrees) since the clean install, but the way it gets there is totally different.
before it was a sort of spyke temp after long gaming (same goes for the fans) now is a stable temp from the very beginning (same for fans speed).

I think its all for now.
other specs:
intel i7 6700hq
gtx 950m
8gb ddr4 ram

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Solution
My bet is the significantly faster read and write speed of the SSD. The system can access and therefore process the data much quicker and more consistently.

70c is still within safe operating temps that won't cause damage. Don't be concerned.

20-30c is normal. I idle at 26-32 depending on room temp.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
My bet is the significantly faster read and write speed of the SSD. The system can access and therefore process the data much quicker and more consistently.

70c is still within safe operating temps that won't cause damage. Don't be concerned.

20-30c is normal. I idle at 26-32 depending on room temp.

Solution

ssdBoy

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

Thank you very much for the quick answer,
Ye i thought about that too... but the timing of this change made me doubtful because of the clean install, you know...i said to myself "maybe i missed some driver for cpu or fan management that was included in the laptop standard package".

In the end i wanted to address the temp issue anyway so i ended up lowering the cpu max capacity in the control panel, even just a drop to 95% saved me 10 degrees, impressive.

ssdBoy

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Just in case someone stumbles on this post, i wanna add that i tried again my old hdd today (with the standard asus software package and windows install) and the temps were indeed lower, by 15-20 degrees...
But! also the cpu usage was lower (dota2), it went from 15-20% to 30-35%... rinvigorating the theory that in the end the ssd may very well allow the cpu to run faster, as i dont think any previous "invisible" asus software was secretly managing the cpu any differently on the old hdd...

Anyone with the same situation then, if u wanna keep temps in check, just go to control panel's power management and lower even just a tad your cpu usage, it will do wonders.