Question i7 6700k, 16GB Upgrade to 32GB RAM - Gaming - Is It Pointless?

Feb 18, 2023
Main Question:
I close most things before launching a game, and I don't multitask during that time. Is there any point in upgrading to 32GB? And which route should I go?

I currently have the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP
Should I add the same again, or buy the 32GB equivalent (or slightly higher speed 3200 maybe) kit and sell the 16GB?

Specs:
-Asus Maximus Viii Hero:
https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/all-series/maximus-viii-hero/
Manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf?model=MAXIMUS VIII HERO
-RTX 2070 EVGA Ultra XC
-NVME/SSDs
-6700k @ 4.5 (I used to use 4.6, lost the settings and now I can only manage 4.5.--Maybe degradation or noob.)

Extra questioning--waffling:
Why am I asking?:
I hear people saying they saw improvements (smoother gameplay) even though they didn't think they needed it. Or they saw a game utilizing more ram after an upgrade. Maybe that's because it is faster ram?

There's also the odd game that gobbles up over 16GB. Hogwarts for example. I haven't played it yet, but it stutters on 16GB vs 32GB it seems.

If I added the same model again, would there be a slight performance drop? A reduction in the rated XMP? Or if I were using custom timings I'd have to reduce them or something? More stress is put on the memory controller. I was under the impression a 2 slot kit is best.

And although the part number is the same, would that be classed as a mismatch and not the same as a 4-stick boxed kit? Different year, version, factory, etc

I'd inclined to think the 6700K going to limit the performance in 99% of new games before 16GB’s upgrade is even necessary.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could squeeze some more performance out of the platform with a DDR4-3200MHz(or slightly higher) with tight timings ram kit though perhaps see if you can overclock your current kit of ram with tighter timings. Yes a two stick kit would be best but if you max out the capacity it's supporting or running all slots with ram, that adds stress to the integrated memory controller.

And although the part number is the same, would that be classed as a mismatch and not the same as a 4-stick boxed kit? Different year, version, factory, etc
Corsair is one brand that is at fault for having multiple revisions of their ram kits within their own product stacks. Corsair will favor one IC over the other due to various economic scenarios to ensure they maximize their profits. They tend to have the same stick of ram but with varying IC's and they tend to lead to instability or boot issues. It's why we tend to sway away from recommending different PCB revision kits being paired when dealing with Corsair's ram.