Question i7-6700k 65° idle (100° gaming) with Corsair H100i v2 AIO

Aug 9, 2021
I have a PC with an i7-6700k and Corsair H100i v2 AIO. I've had a bunch of crashes while gaming recently and noticed high CPU temps. I'm getting about 65° idle and 100 while gaming. I have a 1080 in the system, but temps on that are all good.

Photo of Corsair link info with idle temps:

KsTDVSU.png

43.7 seems high for the AIO temp?

I've tried setting custom fan curves, putting the cooler to max performance etc. but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

If more than 2-3 years old. AIO's performance often goes downhill as pump's internal cooling fins become clogged with assorted contaminant deposits...(alternatively, some AIO rigs lose coolant due to microleaks or simple pump failure, etc...)

High temps at idle would might make me think the pump's internal microfins for dispersing fluid might be fouled.

I'd expect better temps from even any $50 and up double stack air cooler.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Aug 17, 2022
Download Throttlestop, go through the Undervolting walkthrough, select Speedshift (8-40 or 8-42 if you are slightly overclocking), since this is a Skylake processor and most motherboards don't apply speedshift automatically in BIOS to the 6700K. Unselect speed step.

Thank me later.

Download Throttlestop, go through the Undervolting walkthrough, select Speedshift (8-40 or 8-42 if you are slightly overclocking), since this is a Skylake processor and most motherboards don't apply speedshift automatically in BIOS to the 6700K. Unselect speed step.

Thank me later.
Yup, since you are hitting 1,2Vcore you should look into that, you could just look what your PL1 PL2 is set to, and decrease that, that should reduce the Vcore as well, doing a proper undervolting will give you better results but it's a hussle.

Reactions: Sabbath_1984
Aug 17, 2022
Yup, since you are hitting 1,2Vcore you should look into that, you could just look what your PL1 PL2 is set to, and decrease that, that should reduce the Vcore as well, doing a proper undervolting will give you better results but it's a hussle.
Throttlestop is a godsend to anyone who has an older motherboard with highly limited CPU BIOS options.