i7 6700k + Asus Maximus VIII Ranger or Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Georgi_3

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Okay I've bought all other parts , but I can't decide on a mobo and I will kill myself soon.

I ready everywhere that these motherboards have XMP profile issues, OC issues, BSOD's and tons of other *MOD EDIT*.I just want something that works as these motherboards are not cheap in my eyes. My questions.

1) Is the Ranger worth it and is it compatible with Kingston HyperX DDR4 2x8GB 2666mhz ram, I don't see it on the QVL list .... It is compatible with Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

2) I want to do a slight overclock maybe 4.4-4.5 Ghz and I know that depends on what chip I get but I want it to run lower on Idle so I have to set it to adaptive right and Balanced mode in windows + speedstep and turbo boost on ? ( I got Noctua U14S cooler, should be able to get a decent OC, I will be mainly streaming + gaming so I don't think the load on the CPU will be very high..

PLEASE HELP ME XD

Solution
1. Probably not depending on feature set you want. The Pro Gaming is a good board. The QVL list is not a end all be all. It is just a list that they have tested with and will guarantee that they will work at their specs. For memory as long as the frequency is supported and the voltage is the correct voltage it will work.

2. Correct. You need Speedstep on in order for the CPU to downclock itself. Should be easily possible as that is what I have setup on my current rig and had it with my 2500K and Q6600. You need to make sure the overclock is stable with it though because some overclocks don't like speedstep.

On a side not, please watch the language. We are a family friendly forum.

Georgi_3

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

I wont be doing SLI in the near future and my ram is rated for 2666mhz, I don't inted to OC it soon.I just want a quality board that will be stable and wont give me headaches with OC'ing the CPU and general system stability.

1. Probably not depending on feature set you want. The Pro Gaming is a good board. The QVL list is not a end all be all. It is just a list that they have tested with and will guarantee that they will work at their specs. For memory as long as the frequency is supported and the voltage is the correct voltage it will work.

2. Correct. You need Speedstep on in order for the CPU to downclock itself. Should be easily possible as that is what I have setup on my current rig and had it with my 2500K and Q6600. You need to make sure the overclock is stable with it though because some overclocks don't like speedstep.

On a side not, please watch the language. We are a family friendly forum.

Solution