i7-6700k+h100iv2 cooling issue

The_Void

Prominent
May 4, 2017
hi everyone. I recently built a system using my 6700k and an h100i v2 from corsair, but for some reason I can't get idle temps below 30 consistently and if I stress test or record while gaming in a AAA title, my temps go past 80. Any ideas? I replaced the stock fans with corsair ml120mm fans (4) and 1 140mm fan. I also have he cooler master mastercase maker 5 tower and the radiator mounted at the front of the chassis with a positive airflow config.

Solution
There's only 4 options for fan control. Manual (some led versions have auto settings) fan controllers, bios, motherboard software or SpeedFan. For some odd reason, that's the one area nobody is putting any effort into, whatsoever.
SpeedFan is great, when you finally do get it dialed in, which is possible by manually setting the specific fans on specific addresses to user defined fan curves (royal pain in the...).
Motherboard software is iffy, but has come a long way, Asus fanXpert being the best by a very long way. Very user friendly to orient fans and rpm for specific temps.
Bios, well that's as basic as it gets and pretty much usable by most ppl.
Manual controllers mostly fit to the optical bays, can be anything from sliders to...

urbancamper

Distinguished
You said you are using 4 fans(nice fans those ml). Is it a push pull setup? If so I would assume they are all facing the right direction. Sorry had to ask. Are you overclocking?

All that said. Your computer is only at idle when it is in sleep mode. The temps are always going to fluctuate. Low temps are not really something to worry about. It is the temps at load that matter. I assume your using corsair link.

Oh one last thing. Are you using the stock thermal grease. Which is fine. But if you took the h100i v2 out to replace the fans you would need to replace the thermal grease.

DanielSpaending

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
I agree that those temps seem a bit high, although not alarming in any way. I have the almost the same cooler (H110i) and CPU, and I dont get that high temps despite a pretty decent OC (4,6 ghz). You could try to reapply the thermal paste on the CPU, perhaps som air got trapped in there. Also you could try to mess around in the Corsair LINK software and try a different fan and pump profiles.

The_Void

Prominent
May 4, 2017

Yes, I am overclocking. And its using a push setup where the radiator is mounted at the front and the fans (2) are on the outside pushing cold air into the rad and system, and the other 2 120mm ml fans are mounted at the top of my chassis and the 140mm ml fan is mounted at the rear. I did also replace the thermal grease after i noticed poor temps. I contacted corsair cs and will be receiving an express rma cooler replacement, and they took note of my issue and are concerned its poor pump flow.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps with any mechanical cooler (that's air or aio) will always be @8-12°C above ambient temps, so 30°C at idle is actually on the lower side of normal range by a couple of degrees.
Load temps when stress testing depend highly on the test. If you ran Prime95 with any version after 26.6,you can expect 80°C or higher, simply because p95 new versions run extremely high concentrations of AVX (among others) instruction sets, which are entirely unrealistic to any pc's normal coding. For a more accurate model of what can be expected from a pc under normal circumstances, you should use p95 26.6 small fft, as it gives a consistent 100% load, running a variety of instructions that a pc normally runs. There aren't any games that really use much AVX or AVX2, those instructions are really for workstation use, in a few specific areas.

I7 3770k @4.9GHz, 1.32v with kraken x61 I get 74°C after ½ hour small fft 26.6. Using 28.? I got mid 90's. Hardest game with full settings, DSR, enb and I get mid 50's after 4hrs. Idle @32°C, ambient 23°C.

But cpu when recording, unless you are running somewhere close to 100% in that i7 shouldn't be running that hot, unless your OC is off balance and your vcore is way too high along with a high degree of over-current %.

The_Void

Prominent
May 4, 2017

Yeah, besides that though, do you know of any good programs that will control the fanspeed at a good rate besides corsair link and speedfan? these fans are great but i cant find a means of getting them to their quietest state. perhaps a fan controller or new fan hub?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 4 options for fan control. Manual (some led versions have auto settings) fan controllers, bios, motherboard software or SpeedFan. For some odd reason, that's the one area nobody is putting any effort into, whatsoever.
SpeedFan is great, when you finally do get it dialed in, which is possible by manually setting the specific fans on specific addresses to user defined fan curves (royal pain in the...).
Motherboard software is iffy, but has come a long way, Asus fanXpert being the best by a very long way. Very user friendly to orient fans and rpm for specific temps.
Bios, well that's as basic as it gets and pretty much usable by most ppl.
Manual controllers mostly fit to the optical bays, can be anything from sliders to knobs to led readouts with user programable settings. Usually harder to deal with, mostly requiring user input at different stages since they don't have operating fan curves. (led type can)

Your issue ties directly to the fan abilities themselves. Those corsair fans will only operate @ 60% - 100% or roughly 1700rpm-2800rpm ±20%. There's absolutely no way to get them 'quiet', which is mostly 900rpm or below. (Now you understand the stereotypes that claim aios are loud, Corsair has by far the greatest share of the market).
In order to get 'quiet' I'd toss the SP 120L's in the bin, and get some decent fans. Noctua, Phanteks, Nzxt, be quiet! Etc.

Solution