I7 6700k High Idle

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
So back at it again with a new case and same cooler, i can't seem to determine what is causing my unusual high Idle temp of my CPU.

I have a cooler master seidon 120v on the cpu (i7 6700k @stock), but it's Idling at 40-50C. Ambient temp is 21.

I can't run aida or those things because as soon as the utilization is over like 60% the cpu ramps up to 100C.

Any way i can check via software if it's a faulty CPU or Cooler?

I have reapplied the cooler and thermal paste about 4 times the last month. DIfferent fan setups too.

Right now my CPU fan on the radiator is set as an intake (it gives 10c lower idle)

Any help will be appreciated!

Solution
I run my 6700k on 4.6 at upto 1.5 volts so your volts are not the issue.

I had an issue with my water cooler (I think) after several months no issues useage my CPU temps suddenly started hitting 90 when they were previously well below that. My double radiator wasn't getting warm so it was prime suspect.

I replaced the water cooler and went to a Noctua d14 and my temps came right down with a higher overclock. Whoever I sold the water cooler to reported no problems with it so I am really none the wiser except that replacing my aio with an air cooler did the job for me.

If you cant feel significant heat coming off your radiator, on your radiator then you may have an issue with your AIO cooler (airlock, pump, block, no power to...

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

All voltages are stock. Also, i haven't updated the bios. Do you think that could be the problem?

Specs are
Asus e3 pro gaming v5
16gb DDR4 memory
Amd rx480
3 SSDs

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
looking in google some people had some temps issues with the 6th gen of intel processors because the mother boards had by default higher vcore (cpu voltage) settings than the processors actually use or need, so maybe thats the case and a bios update or setting manually the vcore could help with the problem.
here is a post that may help you:http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3002254/6700k-volt-temp-problems.html

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Mine fluctuates, should i set it to 1.2? In HWMONITOR right now it is 1.296 but constantly moves between 1.3 and 1.2. The min. was 0.771 and the max 1.363. WHat's recommended? Overclock isn't needed, as my gaming experience doesn't really benefit from it.

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0mz6p6kpr1r6rb/Screenshot%20%2815%29.png?dl=0

Here's a screenshot of what's happening. I also took pictures on my phone on how i reapplied thermal paste and the cooler. In case that matters. Also, on my bios no matter what i cant change the voltage. Doing an offset from my desktop seems to be the only thing working, yet it's not really doing anything for my idle temps.

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I run my 6700k on 4.6 at upto 1.5 volts so your volts are not the issue.

I had an issue with my water cooler (I think) after several months no issues useage my CPU temps suddenly started hitting 90 when they were previously well below that. My double radiator wasn't getting warm so it was prime suspect.

I replaced the water cooler and went to a Noctua d14 and my temps came right down with a higher overclock. Whoever I sold the water cooler to reported no problems with it so I am really none the wiser except that replacing my aio with an air cooler did the job for me.

If you cant feel significant heat coming off your radiator, on your radiator then you may have an issue with your AIO cooler (airlock, pump, block, no power to pump etc)

Solution

Venomfrosty

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Hi, thanks for the response. I got a double fan radiator now (rajentek 240). My temps are low now :)