Jun 23, 2020
I have a gaming build which is close to four years old now (built it in 2016).

Specs:
CPU - Intel i7 6700k @ 4GHz. Turbo upto 4.2 GHz (no overclocking)
GPU - Zotac GTX 970 (no overclocking)
CPU Cooler - H100i GTX
Motherboard - Asus E3 Pro Gaming v5
BIOS version - 2606
Case - Corsair C70 Vengeance (lots of openings for airflow)
Fans - 5 (2 intake and 3 exhaust)

I hadn't replaced the stock thermal paste which came with the H100i GTX in all these years. Of late, I observed quite high idle temps on my CPU (close to 60c with spikes up to 85c), with gaming (Arkham Knight, GTA V, Alien Isolation) it would shoot up to 90c and occasionally hit 100c (never had an automatic shut down though).

I replaced the stock thermal paste with the Arctic MX-4 2019 edition and for good measure even cleaned out the case, air filters, fans and the radiator fins. I even replaced the stock thermal paste on the GPU with the Arctic.

Although my idle temps have come down from 60c to hovering around the 45c-50c mark (I think this is high for idle), I can still see spikes of up to 85c.

Playing Batman Arkham Knight on Ultra ( with PhysX turned on) yields sustained temps of 85c-87c with spikes of up to 100c on the CPU and the GPU stays close to 80c but never exceeds it. Running even a simple stress test such as the CPU-Z bench for 10 mins gives sustained temps of 95c-100c at 100% load. I didn't bother with Prime95. Motherboard temp is usually 41c. I live in India where the climate is usually warm. My room temperature is usually around 33c (I have an AC but I don't run it all day long), could this be a contributing factor?

At first I thought I had botched the thermal paste application but since then I have cleaned and re-applied the same (dot method) at least 6 times with the same high temps. The pump is working fine and so are all the fans.

I am at my wits end as to how to proceed with this. I have ordered the Noctua NT-H1 as a back-up because the Arctic is only good for two-three more applications.

I would like to hear some suggestions from you guys. Does the i7-6700K usually run at high temps? Is the Arctic MX-4 any good or should I use the Noctua NT-H1? Should I opt for air cooling (Noctua NH D15) instead of AIO (getting the CPU block to mount is a bitch due to the thick tubes)?

P.S. I know, too many questions. Apologies!

Jun 23, 2020
Had a similar issue with my CPU as well. Same CPU. I believe you have a voltage problem.Try lowering the voltage that goes into the CPU in your BIOS around 1.32 - 1.34. You can check how much voltage is going in HWmonitor so you can have an idea on what is drawing currently. I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper T4 on mine and have my CPU on 1.32v. Barely reached 75c and CPUZ-Z scored about 2370-ish. Now I have it on 1.34 and getting scores of 2400 and temps of almost 80c on stress.

My build is about 1 month and most of it is used parts.
CPU: i7 6700k
Mobo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Formula
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4
RAM: Corsair Vengaence LPX DDR4 3200 (New)
PSU: EVGA 700 BR
GPU: ASRock Radeon Rx 590
Idle temps: 38c - 46c

Jun 23, 2020
Hey, guys! A small update after more than two weeks of the original post. I changed the thermal paste to the Noctua NT-H1,

It's been a week since I've applied the H1 and I'm seeing marginally better temps, although, I wouldn't say they're 'great'. Idle temps are now in the 35c-40c range and gaming temps lie somewhere in the high 70s (celsius). At least I'm not getting spikes that touch 100c, for now.

After going through the replies I really think that something's not right with my cooler. It could be any number of reasons you guys listed and I've decided to change my cooler in the near future.

Thank you, amazing folks, for the prompt replies and suggestions! You guys are the best!

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hey, guys! A small update after more than two weeks of the original post. I changed the thermal paste to the Noctua NT-H1,

It's been a week since I've applied the H1 and I'm seeing marginally better temps, although, I wouldn't say they're 'great'. Idle temps are now in the 35c-40c range and gaming temps lie somewhere in the high 70s (celsius). At least I'm not getting spikes that touch 100c, for now.

After going through the replies I really think that something's not right with my cooler. It could be any number of reasons you guys listed and I've decided to change my cooler in the near future.

Thank you, amazing folks, for the prompt replies and suggestions! You guys are the best!
Good to hear that, i am now 100% just leaning towards air cooling in any future builds after having similar experience with corsair h100i pump failure as well. The temps went back to normal for a few weeks after i fix it but now it's spiking up again. Air cooling all the way