Question I7 6700k high usage

Execute92

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Hello :)

So recently when I play BFV my cpu usage is at 100% all the time and I really don’t know why :(

I also barley get 100fps..I’ve tried dropping my refresh rate back down to 60 the usage drops to around 80-90 but the game just feels rubbish stuttering-low FPS-mouse feels sluggish when aiming at someone :( I’ve also tried upping the resolution scale to 130-140 again drops the usage but game still feels bad :( the temps are in the 70-80 mark
I play usually play at 1080p fps capped at 200 and refresh set to max(144)

My specs are
I7 6700k OC to 4.6(H80i GT)
GeForce GTX 1070 Strix OC 8GB
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz
Evga 850w psu
Samsung 144Hz 24"

Please ask any questions and I will do my best to give the information over I’m not a pro in all this computer stuff sooo go easy 😂😂😂

Hope this can be fixed without a upgrade cuz I really wanna play this game again 😂

Thanks Aaron

WHICH temps are in the 70-80 degree range, CPU or GPU?

If GPU, then what are the CPU temps doing, because this SOUNDS like a case of thermal throttling. I'd download and install HWinfo, run it, choose the "Sensors only" option and UN-check the summary option, leave it open, run your game, and look at the sensor values when you see drops in FPS to see if there are any indications of a thermal issue or a YES next to the throttle indicators.

Execute92

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
So I’ve done some changes in the nvidia control panel and my cpu usage is now between 70%-95% sometimes dose hit 100% on some BFV maps but it never stays at 100% like it did before and the temp of the cpu is 60c and that’s at 1080p 144hz and FPS capped yo 144 and stays above 100fps(more stable)

Before I ran same graphic setting but cpu temp would go high 80s with 100% cpu usage

Gpu temps sit at highest 60C

Temps read by HWmonitor mainly but do use gpu tweak 2 just cuz it came the card :)

HWmonitor is a pile of crap. Sorry.

Use HWinfo. Choose the "sensors only" option. You'll be a LOT happier if you do AND you'll likely see more accurate data AND more of it.

Monitoring software

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z, NZXT CAM and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on older AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. When starting HWinfo after installation, always check the box next to "sensors only" and de-select the box next to "summary".

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings, plus, it is extremely rare for HWinfo to not report the correct sensor values under the correct sensor listings, or misreport other information. Utilities like HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor and Speccy, tend to COMMONLY misreport sensor data, or not report it at all.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 version 26.6 or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Posting screenshots, when requested, is helpful so WE can see what is going on as well and you can learn how to do that here:

How to post images on Tom's hardware forums

Execute92

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
managed to get on after work for a couple of mins :D

so got a few pictures on HWinfo again im not very good with this type of thing i brought my pc pre made soo yea :(

as soon as i opened hwinfo i was greeted with this https://puu.sh/DOeSM/a06d3fcba8.png

first pic is of the GPU when not doing anything https://puu.sh/DOeWC/a526768bca.png
same as before but with CPU https://puu.sh/DOeXu/8cb4fcea75.png

next is ingame BFV same settings
CPU https://puu.sh/DOeTl/51e601a0b2.png
GPU https://puu.sh/DOeTH/973c1cd99c.png

hope you can see the pictures ok :)

Last edited:
Just choose the option to not monitor that sensor. It's not uncommon to see that with some chipsets.

So, temps look good. When was the last time, if ever, that you did a clean install of Windows or at least the graphics card drivers. And I do mean CLEAN install, not just piling new drivers on top of the old ones.

Execute92

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
ok so i disabled that ASUS EC went into game and usage still in the 90s

last fresh install of windows i would say was about a year ago and running latest GPU drivers and i always use DDU before installing

Changing refresh rate does not affect CPU performance, only changes things visually, reduced or increased tearing etc. It has no affect on performance.

Changing RESOLUTION or in game graphical settings, low, high, medium ultra, etc., changes CPU performance or load.

Your CPU usage is probably normal because you only have a four core eight thread CPU. Read this:

https://www.game-debate.com/news/25...ttlefield-v-pc-performance-bf5-cpu-benchmarks

I'd wait a little while. Seems as though the new Ryzen CPUs are going to have better performance AND more cores. And can be run on a good X470 board which would be a lot cheaper than the coming soon X570 boards that are ridiculously priced even given the addition of PCIe 4.0. Cheaper all the way around AND better performance.

We should know something and have verifiable reviews within the next seven days, if not already. Haven't looked recently for any Ryzen 3000 reviews.

Execute92

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Ah ok I haven’t followed amd since my old 6350 😂😂I’ll have a look around cuz if I can get something better for cheaper then it’s a sure thing 😂and the wife will be abit happier