i7 6700k idle temperatures too low?

verc00

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hello,

I have recently built my new PC using the 6700k and was wondering if my idle temperatures are OK. They seem pretty low to me.. Could anybody comment on this?

Cooler used: NH-U14S

39e034fedb584ab696e02eba5c3ee446.png

Solution
verc00,

First and most relevant question; what is your Ambient temperature?

When you power up your rig from a cold start, all components are at Ambient, so temperatures can only go up. With conventional air or liquid cooling, no temperatures can be less than or equal to Ambient, regardless of the CPU cooler.

Certain batches of Core i 6th Generation processors have been reported to have Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) that were miscalibrated 10C too low, which show Core temperatures that idle below Ambient temperature. You might have one of theses processors.

CT :sol:

leo2kp

Distinguished
They're fine if you have C-States still enabled. That will throttle core clock speed and voltage when idle to conserve power and keeping heat down to a minimum. Also try a different temp monitor like CoreTemp to see if they report similar numbers.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
verc00,

First and most relevant question; what is your Ambient temperature?

When you power up your rig from a cold start, all components are at Ambient, so temperatures can only go up. With conventional air or liquid cooling, no temperatures can be less than or equal to Ambient, regardless of the CPU cooler.

Certain batches of Core i 6th Generation processors have been reported to have Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) that were miscalibrated 10C too low, which show Core temperatures that idle below Ambient temperature. You might have one of theses processors.

CT :sol:

Solution

Thulram

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Idle temperatures for an Intel Core i7-6700k are in the normal! This is because Intel moved the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator (FIVR) from the CPU onto the motherboard. The FIVR was one of the biggest heat generators in previous CPUs.