i7 6700k lags alot while gaming

Sahil Nayak

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Recently ive noticed that ive been getting lots of random freezes while playing games, it doesn't matter which game I play, it happens almost every 2-3 minutes or sometimes less. I ran an in game monitoring tool and it shows that when this happens the cpu latency jumps from 5-9 ms to upwards of 500 ms or sometimes even 1300 ms. this didn't happen before and has only started to occur recently.

Specs: i7 6700k, GTX 1080, 16gb ram.

gregpym

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017

Open taskmanager and have a look at whats running in the background. Is some cloud service running , a over zealous virus checker. Maybe your infected with a bit miner bot which if you download from dubious sites is almost a certainty over time. Check your win processes. There are a few that sometimes dont shut down like anti malware . Your hardware is good enough for
Any 1080p game at max. You running higher than this, say 4k ?

I doubt it's a hardware issue. Probably a program that thinks it's the king of the world, or malware/virus.
To find out, open "Performance Monitor" (Built into windows). Performance monitor in Windows 10 is excellent.
Click the CPU tab and see what's eating away at your CPU.
When you find the culprit google the name of the exe (or whatever) and disable the program if possible.

On thing I will say: Many people make the mistake thinking that they are installing a program that will help their computer or make it more customized and instead it's just eating away at system resources and helping very little to no help at all.
Try to be a minimalist when it comes to installing programs.

Sahil Nayak

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I haven't checked task manager at the exact moment when the lags occur but when I did check it showed nothing out of the ordinary as cpu usage is around 2% in it, the only programs I have installed and running are bitdefender, msi afterburner, real temp, asus gpu tweak 2, and msi command centre. ill check it at the exact moment when the lags occur and get back bc they are extremely random and wont happen everytime. I actually did a clean install of windows 10 only recently and haven't downloaded anything suspicious since then. running at 1080p

I don't disagree with the other posters at all. The issue may be as they've described. However, it could be other things too, and certainly hardware related.

Could be ram, thermal throttling (on either the CPU/GPU), cooler not working (fans not spinning) etc. Lots of reasons. Test your ram, with a bootable USB with memtest on it. Lets rule that out straight away. Check your fans are all spinning and internally the PC is dust free.

I think both are on the right track, and I would advise the same - monitor whats going on. Use something like Hwinfo/HwMon as it's more comprehensive, and has all the info you need in one screen, that includes, CPU/GPU temps, mobo temps, voltages, CPU/GPU usage levels amongst a whole array of other metrics. Install one of those and run it, take a screen shot and post it here. It will help rule out some stuff, and get an accurate picture of whats going on with your system. Also, if you can post a list of your exact PC specs, make/model etc, including PSU model that would help a lot too.

Sahil Nayak

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
thanks for the replies, for reference here are my complete details
- msi z170a krait gaming motherboard
- 16 gb ddr4 ram gskill
- i7 6700k (no oc)
- asus strix gtx 1080 A8G (no oc)
- antec vp 650w psu
- 256gb Samsung ssd
- 2X 1TB Seagate HDD
- cooler master hyper 103 cpu fan

great, that's a start. So next, run an instance of HwMon/Info and take a screen shot of your system at idle, and at gaming load (hopefully it doesn't crash :) ) Then we can see the temps, voltages, clockspeeds of CPU/GPU, fan speed etc and have a better idea if there's anything that stands out as being wrong.

Sahil Nayak

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

I played the game for about 2-3 hours during which the freezes did happen a few times,
I had hwinfo running in the background and here are the results, I didn't notice anything unusual except these two things :
for the cpu
IA: Turbo Attenuation (MCT) - Yes
and for the gpu
Performance Limit - Reliability Voltage - Yes
I don't know what these mean but seemed like something worth pointing out, though it could be normal.

"programs I have installed and running are bitdefender, msi afterburner, real temp, asus gpu tweak 2, and msi command centre"

Keep bit defender, uninstall or disable the junk-ware and overclock in the BIOS/UEFI if needed. If you just disable instead of uninstalling these then please ensure that, not even 1 process from these is running.

msi afterburner
real temp
asus gpu tweak 2
msi command centre

So is it an MSI card or an ASUS card?
I have an EVGA card... You know how many GPU management utilities I have installed along with my video card? NONE
Drivers make it work, everything else will slow you down. Overclock in the UEFI if needed.

Be an extreme minimalist when it comes to your PC, it will keep you from getting stuck with a poorly programmed, boat anchor software that thinks it should take over every aspect of your PC.

I also suggest a full virus/malware scan. I still don't think you're going to find any hardware issue.
It's probably one of those programs you have running in the background checking for or downloading an update.

Sahil Nayak

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

it is an asus card, i use msi afterburner to check gpu/cpu usage in game, asus gpu tweak 2 to turn off the 0db fan setting which doesnt start the fan until gpu hits 55C.
i uninstalled them one by one and turns out the problem was being caused by msi command centre (came with the motherboard) for now all other games have stopped the freezes except assassins creed origins which does freeze up every now and then but it may just be bc that game has cpu usage issues for a lot of people

Latest posts