Question i7 6700k not working?

Dec 1, 2019
I have
Pentium g4560 (old cpu)
Gigabyte B250-M DS3H
2 4gig 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX 1050
EVGA Bronze 500w

My new cpu, The I7 6700K 4.2 GHz boots up, but when i tried to do anything it would be very laggy. I know it is not overheating. I did not have to update my BIOS because the pentium is 7th gen and the i7 is 6th gen. Chrome tabs would be very laggy, and sometimes the computer will freeze. I have tried resetting my computer, re installing windows, same problem occured.

I have
Pentium g4560 (old cpu)
Gigabyte B250-M DS3H
2 4gig 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX 1050
EVGA Bronze 500w

My new cpu, The I7 6700K 4.2 GHz boots up, but when i tried to do anything it would be very laggy. I know it is not overheating. I did not have to update my BIOS because the pentium is 7th gen and the i7 is 6th gen. Chrome tabs would be very laggy, and sometimes the computer will freeze. I have tried resetting my computer, re installing windows, same problem occured.
Did you reuse the CPU cooler designed for the lower temps of the Pentium?

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
I did not have to update my BIOS because the pentium is 7th gen and the i7 is 6th gen.

Even though you did not "need" to update the bios i would always recommend updating to the newest version!
There might have been some optimization changes for newer cpu's.

Do you have intels boost mode activated in the bios?

I guess you already know that but chrome really likes to eat away all available ram... take a look in the task manager while using chrome and see if your ram is full...

Dec 1, 2019
Even though you did not "need" to update the bios i would always recommend updating to the newest version!
There might have been some optimization changes for newer cpu's.

Do you have intels boost mode activated in the bios?

I guess you already know that but chrome really likes to eat away all available ram... take a look in the task manager while using chrome and see if your ram is full...
I am on BIOS version F1 right now, which should be compatible with the 6700k. However, there is a bios version F9 on the website. Should I update my BIOS to F9? In task manager with chrome open it says it is using 3.6 GB out of my 8gb ram.

TRENDING THREADS