[SOLVED] i7 6700K OC

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Hi guys,

i have this processor i7 6700K OC 4.5GHz-1.34V / Temp 80max.
I mostly play Guild wars2 and World of tanks. In near future i would improve my monitor from 1920x1080 144Hz to 2560x1440 144Hz.
When i want improve some Fps in these games - can i delid this procesor? How many Hz will i get after delid? How many temperature will going down? Is worth it? Or should i look to new motherboard and CPU? (for example i7 / 8700K or i7 9700K + MB)?

I think both games it depends on CPU performance ...

Thank you
L.

Solution
So, I have the same hardware as you. A 6700k@4.5Ghz. I am suffering at 1440p with an RTX 2060 Super, and the problems I'm having are all CPU related. I'm intending to upgrade but am waiting to see what Ryzen 4000 series looks like because Ryzen 3000 series barely brought it on par with 8th generation Intel, and Intel hasn't had anything worth me upgrading to in at least three generations and the latest generation is simply garbage. Way too high TDP, with way to little performance gain over 6th Gen Skylake. In fact, same architecture still.

But if Ryzen 4000 series towards the end of this year doesn't look like it's a good idea then I will likely get whatever Intel comes with on 10nm, if they ever do. At this point, I don't have a lot...
So, I have the same hardware as you. A 6700k@4.5Ghz. I am suffering at 1440p with an RTX 2060 Super, and the problems I'm having are all CPU related. I'm intending to upgrade but am waiting to see what Ryzen 4000 series looks like because Ryzen 3000 series barely brought it on par with 8th generation Intel, and Intel hasn't had anything worth me upgrading to in at least three generations and the latest generation is simply garbage. Way too high TDP, with way to little performance gain over 6th Gen Skylake. In fact, same architecture still.

But if Ryzen 4000 series towards the end of this year doesn't look like it's a good idea then I will likely get whatever Intel comes with on 10nm, if they ever do. At this point, I don't have a lot of faith in Intel anymore. Something has to give though. I'm not buying any Intel that is still on 14nm though. It's just pointless.

I don't believe that delidding is going to be the answer either because another 300mhz, which is about what you can expect to achieve for a daily driver, even delidded, isn't going to offer enough to make it worthwhile. You'd be much better off going with something that has both more cores AND higher IPC, which if you need to do this now would be either the 10700k or maybe the 3700x. Either of those would be good choices and would give you plenty of CPU regardless of any GPU upgrade you may take on.

Heck, even a Ryzen 3600x would be a decent upgrade. You'd have about the same single core performance as the 6700k@4.5Ghz, but you'd have an additional two cores and an additional two hyperthreads. I think the 3700x would make the most sense from a bang per buck standpoint though. Then again, I don't know those two games well and I don't know if they are titles that benefit more from additional multithreaded capability or see more gains from IPC and clock speed.

Solution

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020

But if Ryzen 4000 series towards the end of this year doesn't look like it's a good idea then I will likely get whatever Intel comes with on 10nm, if they ever do. At this point, I don't have a lot of faith in Intel anymore. Something has to give though. I'm not buying any Intel that is still on 14nm though. It's just pointless.

I don't believe that delidding is going to be the answer either because another 300mhz, which is about what you can expect to achieve for a daily driver, even delidded, isn't going to offer enough to make it worthwhile. You'd be much better off going with something that has both more cores AND higher IPC, which if you need to do this now would be either the 10700k or maybe the 3700x. Either of those would be good choices and would give you plenty of CPU regardless of any GPU upgrade you may take on.

Heck, even a Ryzen 3600x would be a decent upgrade. You'd have about the same single core performance as the 6700k@4.5Ghz, but you'd have an additional two cores and an additional two hyperthreads. I think the 3700x would make the most sense from a bang per buck standpoint though. Then again, I don't know those two games well and I don't know if they are titles that benefit more from additional multithreaded capability or see more gains from IPC and clock speed.

Thank you for long asnwer :) I don´t know what is better. I saw lot of articles where people said when they upgraded their hardware they didn´t improve FPS. (Especially in Guild Wars 2).