i7 6700k overclocking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clifford64

Honorable
May 18, 2014
I have an i7 6700k cpu in an asrock z170 k6 motherboard. I have achieved a stable overclock of 4.5ghz at 1.265 volts. The issue with this is the volts are fixed so it is always at that even when my computer is idle and I leave it idle for long periods of time each day and just turn it off at night before I go to bed. The motherboard came with overclocking presets, but they leave the voltage on auto and just changes multiplier so it is generally something like 4.6ghz and the cpu automatically adjusts the voltage which is always too high at like 1.4v or something. I have tried the offset feature but can't seem to get it stable and have acceptable voltage, plus it only lowers it to like 1.1v on idle.
1. Is having a fixed 1.265 volts bad for cpu in long term. I would like this cpu to last about 5-7 years.
2. Is there a different method of overclocking that I should try?

Solution

That sounds pretty good. I wonder why fixed voltage was causing so many issues.

I actually almost did just that with my x99 motherboard. Good thing I just stayed with the extreme as the gaming LAN and other features didn't appeal to me.

I think they give certain boards certain functions because they want each to have it's own flavor. I'm guessing the FatalIty's extra price is mostly markup and not actual component cost.

clifford64

Honorable
May 18, 2014
Yeah, I just did a comparison between the extreme 6 and k6 and the only differences were the K6 has the killer gaming LAN and a gaming mouse usb port. Both features that don't really matter or make a difference because most likely you won't find an internet connection that supports speeds faster than 1gbps, which is it already hard enough to get fiber, and the mouse port I imagine is just a gimmick that doesn't really make a difference but someone out there will say it does. Other than that all features are the exact same between the series, except the extreme series has a different bios which supports better OC settings. I would recommend the Extreme series over the gaming series or go with a more popular overclocking board such as MSI or ASUS but make sure they are higher end boards. thor220, I am gonna mark one of your answers as correct for sticking with me and giving me support, thankyou.

I did very little in this case but thank you for the kind words.

I actually have a cheap Asus motherboard in the HTPC and it has a crazy amount of overclocking options. I was pleasantly surprised that a low end board could do so much.

I'll have to keep this scenario in mind of future recommendations as well. Really no point in paying more for less bios options and gimmicks on the ASRock motherboards.