Question i7 6700k Overheating when idle?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 1, 2019
Hello hardware fans,
my CPU is overheating in idle - around 60-70 C and by 50% it reaches 100C. I've cleaned everything: dust, changed the liquid cooler with brand new one, applied thermal paste several times with a lot, then cleaned it and replaced with less, flashed the BIOS with the 2018 version, changed Power Settings in Windows to "balanced" - still in BIOS the CPU goes to 70 C. Used a number of programs (CPU-z, HWinfo and so on) still same results... I've never overclocked the CPU myself, what is the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Dec 1, 2019
Maximum power obviously cannot be 3.7W, so I'll interpret that as 37W. There is no way the CPU would get anywhere near 80C at only 37W of actual package power draw with a properly installed and working liquid cooler... unless actual power draw is much higher and isn't being reported correctly. May need to use a DC clamp-meter on the CPU 12V cables to sanity-check against VRM input power.
I knew there will be confusion about it so I took screenshot from CoreTemp but how can I post it here? Upload it on a server and then give the link here or is there easy way?

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Do you hear the Waterpump running?
It sounds to me as if the water in the loop isnt circulating.
Did you make shure to plug in ALL of the cables from the Loop?

one time i had the same problem and then realized i didnt plug in all the cables...
For comparison: my AIO (NZXT) has 4 different cables i had to plug in... forget one and something wont work...

Dec 1, 2019
Dear Hardware maniacs,
Thank you for your advices! Despite there was nothing new for me I really appreciate all your answers and ideas!

I have finnaly found the problem: it was faulty motherboard socket (SysFan 1) switched to another socket (SysFan2) now the pump finnaly cools the CPU. So let me sum up for all others who experience overheating:

Summary:

1. Clean the dust from Towercase and Fans (Use Canned Air)
  2. Check the cooler (either liquid or air)
2.1. Check connections! (my problem was very small but enough to make serious overheating)
2.2. Check if you removed the protective foliage from the cooler (comes with new coolers very often with)
2.3. Check if your thermal paste is to be changed (Always clean and apply new paste every time you install new cooler or move the old one)
2.3.1. Do NOT apply too much Thermal Paste and wipe swiftly if you by accident have some on your motherboard
2.4. Check the Fans if they are blowing at all
  1. Check the power - PSU if everything is connected or too much power goes for the CPU
  2. Check inside BIOS, most accurate Temperatures and if needed:
4.1. Reset to defaults (factory settings)
4.2. Flash the BIOS (Update or restore previous working version):
4.2.1. Find out your motherboard exact name (usually written on the motherboard)!
4.2.2. Download the "Flashing ROM" only from manufacturer websites (legit and not modified ROMs only)
4.2.3. Use clean and formatted USB-Sticks, also check for errors on it!
4.2.4. Follow the instructions provided for flashing your BIOS on the website of your manufacturer.

5. Check your sofware (some programs are "overclocking" the CPU to show you how cool is to have faster PC)
5.1. Check for Viruses (very rare but some viruses are designed to overheat the CPU)
5.2. Check for Overloading/Throttle in Software/Games
5.3. Run some Programs to check if CPU is ok at all - (I have used Intel Provided software to check the health of my CPU - was looking good thou)
  1. Write in Forums, there is always someone who knows more than you! :}
  2. If nothing works, well go and give you PC for repair.

Good Luck and thank you for the attention!

On another note I just saw that you have 2 more issues on your system, one mediocre, one bad.
The bad one is your PSU. It's one of the worst there are out there.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/inter-tech-argus-720-watt.2735891/
Even other reviews I found has the unit as BAD. It should NOT be used powering an i7 along with a 2080Ti. It shouldn't be used in anything else beside office PCs. It's a risk and a high one to be honest, having it on the system as it might fail at any time, taking other expensive hardware with it or even start a fire (not kidding).
You should buy a better PSU of good quality from a reputable brand especially when you spend that much money on a 2080Ti. It's the heart of your system, so guess what happens if you have a bad heart and you are asked to run marathons.

The second mediocre issue is your motherboard. You already know that it has a bad Fan header and is a chipset that can not overclock the CPU, yet you have an unlocked CPU. It's a waste of money since you can't OC the CPU so you should have either bought a i7 6700 and not a i7 6700K or, you should have bought a Z170 chipset (or Z270 if it existed at the time of purchase). Your 2080Ti is almost certainly bottlenecked by your CPU right now and it might even be bottlenecked after you OC the CPU with a proper motherboard.

I suggest you should address the very serious issue of your PSU ASAP and if you are not planning for a platform upgrade, your motherboard as well.
Thanks mate! And you was right all the long way up - it was faulty installation, feel kinda dumb but well who cares - I can finnaly enjoy some Red Dead Redemption 2 :D

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019
On another note I just saw that you have 2 more issues on your system, one mediocre, one bad.
The bad one is your PSU. It's one of the worst there are out there.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/inter-tech-argus-720-watt.2735891/
Even other reviews I found has the unit as BAD. It should NOT be used powering an i7 along with a 2080Ti. It shouldn't be used in anything else beside office PCs. It's a risk and a high one to be honest, having it on the system as it might fail at any time, taking other expensive hardware with it or even start a fire (not kidding).
You should buy a better PSU of good quality from a reputable brand especially when you spend that much money on a 2080Ti. It's the heart of your system, so guess what happens if you have a bad heart and you are asked to run marathons.

The second mediocre issue is your motherboard. You already know that it has a bad Fan header and is a chipset that can not overclock the CPU, yet you have an unlocked CPU. It's a waste of money since you can't OC the CPU so you should have either bought a i7 6700 and not a i7 6700K or, you should have bought a Z170 chipset (or Z270 if it existed at the time of purchase). Your 2080Ti is almost certainly bottlenecked by your CPU right now and it might even be bottlenecked after you OC the CPU with a proper motherboard.

I suggest you should address the very serious issue of your PSU ASAP and if you are not planning for a platform upgrade, your motherboard as well.
I must say I am pleased that you have noticed these 2 issues, because I have tought about them a lot. First of all - the PC configuration was a gift from my wife ;) so I think she went to the first PC shop said something like that: "My husband love games, so make me a "gamer" PC", bought it and brought it to me. I for that matter should have checked everything but I have very rarely time to delve in my old passion and used it like that. Until now, I wanted to upgrade for the upcomming games in 2020 and saw that PSU is garbage but it is 720 W which for the upgrade is not big of a deal... the brand is 1st time I have ever heard of it. But relax in the next weeks it will be changed as for the CPU and Motherboard - I have benchmarked them both and the bottleneck is around 5-6 FPS in 4k games/applications which is to say to an upgrade of another 500-700 Euro - no thanks! But the PSU will be changed, because in 90s through 2000 I have changed exactly 6 times cheap PSUs, one of them even cought fire :D So I know exactly what are you talking about.
Recommend some monster PSU within reasonable price, if you please?
P.S. After 2000 I have used only PSU from EVGA, never had problems, are they still that good?

That PSU has 2 x 12V rails that can output each 30A which should be 720W, BUT total combined is 670W for those 2 rails. That is the best it can output but since it has supposedly 85,3% efficiency at 100% load, the total it can output at 100% load is 571W.
For PSUs quality is much more important than quantity. When that PSU is unreliable and can't output proper wattage, may have ripples, etc your whole system is constantly at risk and of course the life span of the components might be reduced (for me personally it's certain but there are people to disagree).
There are plenty of reliable PSUs that do not break the bank. EVGA has some good ones and some bad ones. A rule of thumb is to spend 1/12th - 1/10th of the total cost of your tower components for PSU. As I said, it's afterall the heart of your system.
These are reliable and good to have PSUs:
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650 W 80+ Platinum
Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold
or the same with 750Wand a very small price difference: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold
Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum
SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 650 W 80+ Titanium
with these in your system you won't have problems for many many years.

I agree that when playing at 4k the CPU is not used at full, rather the GPU takes the heavy hit but the turbo clock of 4,2 Ghz does impact the FPS. Afterall is a 4c/8t CPU from 4 generations behind. I also mentioned that you can buy a motherboard instead that is capable of OCing the CPU. Something with a Z270 chipset.