I7-6700k reaches temps at 90 c (Full Load)

josiahvan

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017
Hello everyone, So I built my pc about a year ago and I heavily monitored my temps back then, everything seemed fine, when playing games such as Arma 3 ( Very cpu intensive) I got temperatures around 70 c. Which was fine for me. Now, Today, I decided to run a temp test while playing Arma 3 at ultra settings and I was getting temps between 75 - 90, it was constantly fluctuating. The temps in the 90 c were quite worrying. I came here to ask these questions: Are those temps bad? and If so how do I fix that. Keep in mind that when playing Arma 3 I play at ultra settings and the cpu was around a 90-95% load

Specs:
Intel I7 - 6700k 4.0 GHz
Nvidia Ge Force GTX 970
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB RAM
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Corsair 850 w Power Supply
500 GB Samsung SSD
2TB Barracuda HD
ASUS Z-170 A Mother Board

I used Riva Tuner Stat Server + MSI afterburner to measure the temperatures.

I dont know anything about voltages, but my pc says that my Core Voltage for my CPU is 1.392 V ( I dont overclock my pc, idk if saying the voltage amount helps but i maybe thought that it had something to do with temperature.)

90C while gaming is bad. Too hot. And the 10+ degree rise says something is not working right.

I'd start by suspecting the pump is failing/has failed in the H100i Water Cooler. How hot is the radiator? Don't touch the coldpate on the CPU to see how hot it is, 90C would cause bad blisters. Hydro Series™ products have a 5 year warranty, so you get to RMA if the pump is bad. Instructions here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

If you think the water cooling system is working then try removing it, cleaning off the old thermal paste and reinstalling with new thermal paste. I use arctic silver 5, rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) at 90% purity or higher to clean along with coffee filters. there are plenty of other good thermal compounds.

If reinstalling does not help then maybe your CPU is going. The extra heat comes from leakage current. Leakage current rises at high temps, high voltage and failing internal insulation (modern cpus have about 7 atoms of insulation, so its not hard to wear this away with voltage). Unless you overclock this is really rare. If you OC what voltage are you using ? 4 ghz listed in your parts is stock, but it's a K so thinking you might be OC'd.

UPDATE: I like the idea suggested above of blowing the dust out of the water cooling radiator before trying anything else.

josiahvan

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017

Hey thanks for your quick reply, so luckily i did that b/c i found huge amounts of dust on the radiator, after i cleaned it i ran another test and this time I didnt hit the 90 mark but i was still around the 75- 85 mark its a little improvement but there must be something else wrong. Heres the radiator before i cleaned it if your interested haha: http://imgur.com/a/JMiQS

LOL classic picture. should be a sticky.

josiahvan

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017
so turns out im completely stupid idk how I didnt notice this, i only noticed when i went into task manager. but i had my pc overclocked at 4.7 GHz that change must have just happened recently as i never noticed it before. i took it down to 4.2 GHz (all i need) and it worked perfectly fine, when running a stress test at 100% my average cpu temp was 80 so that is low enough for me.

check that the h100i is mounted properly to the cpu that helps more in low temp

josiahvan

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017

Thanks ill do that.