mobo : msi z170 xpower gaming titanium
cpu : i7 6700k
cpu cooler : stock intel cooler
ram : corsair veng 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
gpu: gtx 1080ti gigabyte
ssd: corsair mx500 1tb
hdd: seagate 250gb
case: nzxt h500 elite

i recently had a upgrade kit from an h61 i5 2500k 8 gb ddr3 to this bundled setup

since i then builded everything the computer ran fine
once i start playing a game gta 5 the game will freeze after a few mintutes and the pc will restart ,
i discovered my cpu temps went 90 + degree celcuis and on idle it runs at 70 plus degreee celcius
this is abnormal ,
how can i reduce this tempartures anything i can do or in bios i tried applying thermal paste to the cpu again still persist

#i7, #i76700k, #gtx1080ti ,#msi, #gigabyte, #nzxt

If you've cleaned the old thermal paste off the cpu and the base of the cooler and applied the correct pea sized drop of thermal paste and properly re-installed the cooler then I would assume you have an issue with air flow in your case.

Do you have all four of the fan positions in the case filled ? The front two should be intake and the back and top should be exhaust to remove GPU and CPU heat.

Reactions: zachw9
Jun 21, 2020
If you've cleaned the old thermal paste off the cpu and the base of the cooler and applied the correct pea sized drop of thermal paste and properly re-installed the cooler then I would assume you have an issue with air flow in your case.

Do you have all four of the fan positions in the case filled ? The front two should be intake and the back and top should be exhaust to remove GPU and CPU heat.
thats correct i got 2 intake fans 140mm in front that comes with the nzxt h500 elite casing
one exhaust at the back 120mm and i installed one nzxt 140mm on top they the two exhaust fans

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Go to ur windows power plan advanced settings and at processor power management lower the maximum processor state. If this help u but not much u should measure ur voltage with a program and if there is problem there u can adjust them in bios. Getting a better cooler always helps :)

Jun 21, 2020
so my pc specs as follows:

mobo : msi z170 xpower gaming titanium
cpu : i7 6700k
cpu cooler : stock intel cooler
ram : corsair veng 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
gpu: gtx 1080ti gigabyte
ssd: corsair mx500 1tb
hdd: seagate 250gb
case: nzxt h500 elite

i recently had a upgrade kit from an h61 i5 2500k 8 gb ddr3 to this bundled setup

since i then builded everything the computer ran fine
once i start playing a game gta 5 the game will freeze after a few mintutes and the pc will restart ,
i discovered my cpu temps went 90 + degree celcuis and on idle it runs at 70 plus degreee celcius
this is abnormal ,
how can i reduce this tempartures anything i can do or in bios i tried applying thermal paste to the cpu again still persist

#i7, #i76700k, #gtx1080ti ,#msi, #gigabyte, #nzxt

seeing like the case cooling is OK, I would suggest getting a new cooler as it is probably not adequate anymore. Have you done any overclocking?

Jun 21, 2020
Go to ur windows power plan advanced settings and at processor power management lower the maximum processor state. If this help u but not much u should measure ur voltage with a program and if there is problem there u can adjust them in bios. Getting a better cooler always helps :)
Yes
sure deal il try at out also ordered an corsair h100 platinum se white cooler that will be coming tuesday , will check it out once it arrive and update you guys thank you so much

Jun 21, 2020
As there is/was no stock Intel cooler that accompanied a 6700K, one must assume you are using a cooler from (likely) a lesser 65 watt TDP unit....; which is (as you now experiencing) completely insufficient for the 6700K...
U are spot on bro , as im using my stock cooler from an h61 chip which had the i5 2500k

Jun 21, 2020
this actuallly helps i set the max processor state to 80 percent i get 60 degrres on idle and 74 under 100 percent load

Jun 21, 2020
so this means to say the cooler is the problem or volatage? cause setting the max processor state to 80 - i get good temps under load

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
so this means to say the cooler is the problem or volatage? cause setting the max processor state to 80 - i get good temps under load
A better cooler will help for sure but u need to check ur voltage hfmonitor or any other program. And also if u can give us info on ur psu. 74 on full load with stock cooler isnt good nor bad but 60 at idle is not so good my old cooler msi frost l on i5 8600k get me 72 on full load and 47 at idle now my noctua d-15 cromax black give me 32- 37 on idle and 48-52 at full load depending the room temp.Also when u play games ur gpu start to work too so the hot air rise and it increase the overall temps in ur case.

Last edited:

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
The voltages are fine so probably the problem is the cooler also try to set all ur fan at maximum speed from bios change ur power plan to 70-80 % so u get normal temps and u can play some games till the new cooler arrives.

Jun 21, 2020
  1. your cpu cooler is outdated (try an aio)
  2. clean out the dust in your system because that chokes airflow
  3. set fan curves on your fan software or motherboard bios
  4. reapply or try new thermal paste with better ratings
  5. check to see if any of your components are overclocked, if so, dont overclock them unless your thermals are under control

Reactions: AngelJin
Jun 23, 2020
Same as other said, try getting a better CPU Cooler. I have the same CPU w/ a Cooler Master Hyper T4 on it. CPU voltage is currently at 1.34 and temps on CPU-Z stress are about 80c in the tropics. Once you get the new cooler make some tests on it to see temps so you can know if you need lower CPU voltage too. Mine came stock at about 1.35v or even more, I don't remember exactly, and temps were almost 90c. Spoke w/ the person I bought it from and helped me out lowering the CPU voltage.