[SOLVED] I7-6700k running hot

r0b3412

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hey all I've been looking on forum to see if anything fits.my description. Still can't resolve issue... I am running

My temps are 90-100c under full load

Idle about 30c

i7-6700k 4ghz stock
Z170 gaming 7 gigabit mb (updated firmware to f21) latest bios from.what I see
Rtx 2080
Ddr 4 tridentz 3400
H100i v2 liquod cooler

Everything is stock and am running high temps.definetly cant OC as I had no luck even at stock runs way too high

I removed all thermal paste and added pea size in middle.

I reset the block and didn't over screw the thumb screws.corsair shows pump at 3000rpm and fan at 1500rpm temps of the pump is 40c yet CPU is much higher . I did noticed the back plate the block connects to on the h100 v2 is loose but from my understanding that is normal. Some people said they used rubber washers so the back plate would not be loses.. which I tried still didnt help temp.

Solution
If the pump is dead it could still be reporting the RPM it would be spinning at if it were working according to the voltage being sent to it.

Feel the cpu block and see if you can tell if the pump is actually spinning. Unplug your case fans and make sure your room is quiet and see if you can hear the pump spin up when you turn your pc on.

Remount it and see if the thermal paste is being spread out well. If the paste is spreading it isn’t likely it’s a mounting issue.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Something must be going on with that cooler. You shouldn’t have any trouble with temperatures with that cooler on a 6700k especially stock. Are all bios settings default? Make sure your voltages aren’t higher than normal.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
If the pump is dead it could still be reporting the RPM it would be spinning at if it were working according to the voltage being sent to it.

Feel the cpu block and see if you can tell if the pump is actually spinning. Unplug your case fans and make sure your room is quiet and see if you can hear the pump spin up when you turn your pc on.

Remount it and see if the thermal paste is being spread out well. If the paste is spreading it isn’t likely it’s a mounting issue.

Solution

That's kind of difficult to understand at first.

Clarification; if the paste has not spread, then there could be a mounting issue. If the paste has spread then it is likely not a mounting issue.