i7-6700k stuck at 0.78 - 0.79GHz?

Jun 20, 2018
Hello all, over the past couple days I’ve been having some issues with my PC. I first noticed this Monday, when I was having awful FPS drops on games I had no business losing frames on in the first place (20~ FPS on Warframe, massive drops on Jurassic World Evolution, and even drops on Overwatch). As I kept getting more concerned/frustrated, I started testing out more and more games only to find that my performance was suffering just about everywhere. That’s when I noticed under my task manager, my CPU was running at 0.78 - 0.79GHz no matter my CPU load.

I’m rocking the following
MOBO: MSI Z170A GAMING M5
CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 980ti
16GB of RAM

Also before anyone asks I’ve already checked my power plan and it’s set to high-performance, my minimum processor rate is set to 100%, I’ve factory reset Windows (which I’ve been meaning to do for a while anyway), and I’ve disabled Intel C-State in my UEFI.

I’d also like to mention that I’ve always run my games with Afterburner and I’ve seen no overheating to speak of with my CPU, so if it’s somehow throttling itself I don’t undertstand why.

Earlier today I did bring my PC out of sleep mode (after a day of leaving it alone) and my CPU had returned to normal temporarily, even following a restart of my computer. After about 15 minutes or so, my CPU went back down to 0.78 - 0.79 GHz (was running at 4.00GHz+ before).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I’d like to get back to gaming as soon as possible.