i7-6700k Temperature Issue

Arteran

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Hello all!

I've recently created a new build with the i7-6700k and am experiencing temperatures which seem slightly too high for comfort. I'm aware they're (relatively) within the safe range but they're certainly not ideal and as far as I know, normal.

You can find the different temperatures listed below. I've used multiple software to confirm the readings, e.g. HWMonitor, Speccy.

Ambient: 19°C
Idle: 40-50°C - Big variance, even with almost no software open
Load: 60-70°C - Regularly get this temperature when gaming. Can get to 75-80°C using Prime95 V26.6

Another thing of note is massive temperature variance as suggested in the temperatures. I'm aware that this is partially due to certain services/background processes utilising the CPU in the background however I feel it's a bit too much. I'll have regular increases/decreases of 10~15°C.

Things I've tried:
Improved the airflow of my case. I purchased 2 fans to act as front intake and used the rear and top fans as an exhaust. This decreased temperatures by a 2-4°C overall. An improvement, but still disappointing.

Re-seated everything (Components, MB), thoroughly cleaned and re-applied thermal paste.

As I've seen recommended before, I've tried ensuring the CPU is properly tightened and also slightly less than tightened. Made no difference.

Question
Does anyone know anything I could do to try and improve this situation or whether I've missed something? Please feel free to ask any questions or request information.

Is it worth returning the motherboard/CPU and if so, which first? Can a motherboard be the cause of abnormally high temps?

Also, as an aside, what are your opinions of the CX550m PSU? Should I upgrade, will it in anyway help the build?

Note:
Everything is running at stock. No overclock, no XMP enabled.
Room can get fairly hot but my previous build, i5-4690k ran at 22°C idle for reference.

Thanks for viewing!

PC Specs:
i7-6700k w/ Hyper 212 Evo
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CX550m
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz
NZXT S340 Case (White)

Solution
I mean, it looks pretty par for the course to me.

Your temps are about 10degC higher than what i get...
But your room is freaking HOT dude. 86degF? How can you breathe?
So i mean if we think about my room being around 10degC cooler, and i'm getting 10degC cooler temps on idle and load...

I mean it make sense right?

The 212 is a cheap (all be it good) economy cooler. Get something with some MASS, heavier the better! Cryorig H5 is a great choice imo, and would probably bring your temps down to where you are comfortable.

Arteran

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

Sorry, that was a typo from my end. The room is around 19*C or 66f. You really think the H5 will decrease the temperatures that significantly from a 212 Evo? Unfortunately, Cryorig is fairly hard to obtain here in the UK in comparison to other coolers.

Also your temps are with overclock, no?

Awh well that makes things a bit more complicated.
Cryorig isn't crazy good or anything, plenty of options out there for you. Here in the states they are great because of their price to performance.

Really anything that has 4 or more thick heat pipes with a good beefy tower will do. A bigger cooler will help your idles for sure, as it will soak up more heat before your fans get the cue to kick on. Nickle plating on the pipes is usually a VERY good sign the cooler is quality. You don't nickle plate poop.

Solution