i7-6800K go as low as 1.2GHz

matislebelfaille

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hello!
How do you set a base speed CPU frequency (in the 6th gen asus BIOS).... my overclocking is set to 4.2GHz but i'm getting as low as 1.2 GHz when idle.
M'y CPU is still really "cold" even when i'm gaming at 4.2 GHz so i really don't worry about the heat it could generate.
I would like it to be at 3.4 or 3.0 GHz minimum.
the reason why i want to do this is because i'm doing 3D and some stuff is slow... like when i'm hitting a tab or window it is slow to pop up sometimes and i think it is because of the low GHz.
Please welp!

Solution
If you want your CPU running at max freq at all times disable Intel Speed Step and the C6 state in BIOS.

However this has nothing to do with the slow changing when using alt+tab, that has more to do with your RAM, the lack (probably) of an SSD and maybe the OS version.
If you want your CPU running at max freq at all times disable Intel Speed Step and the C6 state in BIOS.

However this has nothing to do with the slow changing when using alt+tab, that has more to do with your RAM, the lack (probably) of an SSD and maybe the OS version.

Solution

matislebelfaille

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Thx for the answer! :D
Sorry i was not clear enough.
I have 16G (4X4) of RAM so i don't think it is the problem... nor my SSD cuz i got two of them and the main one got 100G or more of free space.
When i was talking about window it was in my 3D software (my OS performance are totally fine). some simple task like opening a tab or picking a tool or tool box have a slight delay.
sometimes it freeze for a fraction of a second. Maybe i am too picky but i am not used to have that delay.
I will try to tweak the speed step and C6 state i will reanswer when done.
Thx again guys!

in light workloads, such as surfing, reading THF, etc., the clockspeed will typically be at 800-1000 MHz or so; run a WIndows Defender scan, while monitoring task manager/performance/cpu and you should see the speed ramp up during the scan, which is normal behavior....

matislebelfaille

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Thanks a lot Radikal and everyone!

Both speed step and C-state where enabled... i disabled them and now i am steady 4.2GHz :D 35c in idle... should i turn one of them on if so witch one is best!?
:)

matislebelfaille

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Yess! My software is much more fluid and those delay are not there anymore.
In the AI suite 3 i use the power saving mode when i'm not working or gaming so i don't over use my CPU. (my clock speed drop to 0.8GHz in that mode)

TRENDING THREADS