Question i7-7700 + gtx 1060 6bg [6GB?] for streaming

shadowflipz

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Hi.
new to this forum but i will try my best to explain.

here's my Q:
i have a I7-7700 and a GTX 1060 6bg 6GB
i am struggling to stream at 720p60
i play wow on 1440p but i keep a steady 100+ fps ingame
i am going to upgrade my Gpu to a 3070 hopefully, but my question is, should i also upgrade my cpu+mobo?

i am at work now but here is my settings as i remember them.

*nvenc new
*Cbr
* 5400 bitrate
*max-b frames 2
downscaled to 720p
*lancosz

i keep getting it like if a turn camera ingame, on stream it looks terrible, blurry ass hell.

is my setup even good enough for streaming in 720p60?

will i get more stable frames/quality if i change to like ryzen 5 3600 if i am still on gtx 1060 6bg?

i am new to this so any tips is much appreciated.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Your cpu was a capable one that time when it was released three years back, but that 4 cores might hold it back, my suggestion is first try the pairing the i7 with RTX 3070, if you feel the gameplay is sluggish or the cpu load is high in demanding games like Red dead redemption or upcoming cyberpunk 2077, then swap the i7 with a 3700X and not a 3600, I have a 3600 and they say it easily handles the RTX 3080, but still I would go for the 8 core 12T 3700x.

If you are using nvidia NVENC then CPU is almost not important for streaming. And for WoW the Core i7 7700 shoould be enough, specially since you have a GTX 1060 6GB and at higher resolution (and if you use high details level) the GPU will become the limiting factor first.

Streaming is not only about your GPU/CPU, RAM and Storage are somehow important, having a clean installation of Windows without the usual crap apps most people have too, updated drivers, and very important is your internet conection speed and stability.

So why don't you share the rest of your system with us (brand and model of RAM, Storage, PSU, etc. as well as what kind of internet conection do you own.

logainofhades

Titan
Since you are looking to stream WoW, your i7 should be fine. You are right at the new recommended requirement, for Shadowlands. A new GPU, with a better Nvidia encoder, (NVENC), should definitely help with the streaming side of things. I would start there, then worry about a CPU/motherboard upgrade. Make sure your PSU is a good quality unit, with enough wattage, for the GPU you decide on.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
With out knowing what you streaming, i can only offer a general opinion...
Firstly, your Cpu should be ok... since the i7-6th gen is still considered to be the 'recommended' gaming Cpu for some 2020 AAA titles.
Secondly, the Ryzen 5 3600 only has a slight performance boost over your cpu - according to a few benchmark websites - so... again you really shouldn't wait your money upgrading it.

I think that upgrading the GPU would be best... since CPU's don't really do much with video processing.
Also, and I'm not sure how relyable this info is since i only saw a guy on youtube mention this once... You might try, if you have one, using an old GPU as a dedicated Video Processor.
You should be able to find more info on youtube - but i know that you have to enable it in your Bios - dont ask me how though

shadowflipz

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
If you are using nvidia NVENC then CPU is almost not important for streaming. And for WoW the Core i7 7700 shoould be enough, specially since you have a GTX 1060 6GB and at higher resolution (and if you use high details level) the GPU will become the limiting factor first.

Streaming is not only about your GPU/CPU, RAM and Storage are somehow important, having a clean installation of Windows without the usual crap apps most people have too, updated drivers, and very important is your internet conection speed and stability.

So why don't you share the rest of your system with us (brand and model of RAM, Storage, PSU, etc. as well as what kind of internet conection do you own.
Still at work but I can share what I remember for now.

Psu:
Corsair CX550M, 550W PSU
Ram
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16 gb
Ssd
Samsung m2 ssd 500gb
Samsung regular ssd 500gb

Internett is 1000mb up and down and is stable ethernet
Let me now if you need more info I'll check when I get home :) much appreciated

shadowflipz

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
With out knowing what you streaming, i can only offer a general opinion...
Firstly, your Cpu should be ok... since the i7-6th gen is still considered to be the 'recommended' gaming Cpu for some 2020 AAA titles.
Secondly, the Ryzen 5 3600 only has a slight performance boost over your cpu - according to a few benchmark websites - so... again you really shouldn't wait your money upgrading it.

I think that upgrading the GPU would be best... since CPU's don't really do much with video processing.
Also, and I'm not sure how relyable this info is since i only saw a guy on youtube mention this once... You might try, if you have one, using an old GPU as a dedicated Video Processor.
You should be able to find more info on youtube - but i know that you have to enable it in your Bios - dont ask me how though
Ohh okey, thanks for the tip I'll def check it out

shadowflipz

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
i am hope, this is what i have
mobo : Strix B250F Gaming speed 3600MHz
Ram : Kingston 4096MB x2 at 2666MHz and Kingsto 8192MB 2133 MHZ x2 total 24Gb
Bios version 1207
storage : 2x hdd 1Tb/ Samsung SSD 850 Evo 120 Gb / Samsung m.2 SSD 240Gb
Psu : Corsair CX550M, 550W PSU
Gtx 1060 6 Gb
i7-7700 Cpu