[SOLVED] i7-7700 in 2021 ?

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hope you all doing well,

I would like to know your valuable suggestions for this upgrade. I have an option to for a used i7-7700 with Gigabyte GA-270hd3p and 16GB 2133Mhz all together for 55BHD ($145).

My current system specs:

Case - Cougar MX330
Motherboard - Dell OEM from OptiPlex 9010
CPU - i7 3770 Stock
RAM - 16GB DDR3 (4GB x 4) 1333~
Storage - SATA SSDs (250 + 250 + 250) GB
GPU - XFX RX580 8GB
OS - Windows 20H2

I have seen the previous thread about Ryzen's but the thing i don't mind switching except Ryzen's are expensive in my region in middle east including the used ones which rarely only get listed most of those being Ryzen 3 3200g or Ryzen 5 2600 for around $150-$180 for the CPU alone.

Is this upgrade going to give me benefits in terms of CPU power and CPU dependent games and an overall slightly ahead future safe build.

Solution
It will give some benefits on single core performance. I say for $145 go for it, but keep in mind that the older i7s are the equivalent of modern i3s. So you’ll want to save up and get a better board and cpu down the road, but the 7700 should buy a little time.
Hope you all doing well,

I would like to know your valuable suggestions for this upgrade. I have an option to for a used i7-7700 with Gigabyte GA-270hd3p and 16GB 2133Mhz all together for 55BHD ($145).

My current system specs:

Case - Cougar MX330
Motherboard - Dell OEM from OptiPlex 9010
CPU - i7 3770 Stock
RAM - 16GB DDR3 (4GB x 4) 1333~
Storage - SATA SSDs (250 + 250 + 250) GB
GPU - XFX RX580 8GB
OS - Windows 20H2

I have seen the previous thread about Ryzen's but the thing i don't mind switching except Ryzen's are expensive in my region in middle east including the used ones which rarely only get listed most of those being Ryzen 3 3200g or Ryzen 5 2600 for around $150-$180 for the CPU alone.

Is this upgrade going to give me benefits in terms of CPU power and CPU dependent games and an overall slightly ahead future safe build.
Nice bump in perf.
For 145 bucks grab it.

Make sure dell is not using some proprietary psu.
It would be nice if that ram was 2x8GB.

Reactions: aymanfarshid94

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Nice bump in perf.
For 145 bucks grab it.

Make sure dell is not using some proprietary psu.
It would be nice if that ram was 2x8GB.

Thanks for the quick response, my apologies I forgot to add it above, I have a Deepcool DN450 450W PSU, had to get that in when I upgraded out of the GTX 1050 with the OEM Dell 275W.
Dell and proprietary go hand-in-hand, had an interestingly annoying time switching cases with the motherboard, non-standard CPU fan headers, front panel usb and audio headers etc.

So the bump in performance makes sense for $145, I ll contact the guy for additional info like the 2x8 GB

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
It will give some benefits on single core performance. I say for $145 go for it, but keep in mind that the older i7s are the equivalent of modern i3s. So you’ll want to save up and get a better board and cpu down the road, but the 7700 should buy a little time.

I understand, that's the reason I have always been weary about partial upgrades. the i7 3770 still packs a punch but I am limited by a lot of features at the moment having spare m2 drives but unable to use them, the proprietary issues on my exisiting motherboard and additional high priced upgrades in my region. This is the first I have seen a good triple set listing on a good price.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While that's a good price for an upgrade, the PSU changes things for me. An i7-7700 is preferable performance-wise, but if you can only do a platform upgrade or a PSU upgrade, I'd definitely do the latter one; the DN 450 is a very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU.

There's a reason it's listed as Tier D on our curated power supply tier list. ("Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems ")

A 10% performance bump, for me, fails in comparison to having proper power delivery.

Reactions: Howardohyea

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
While that's a good price for an upgrade, the PSU changes things for me. An i7-7700 is preferable performance-wise, but if you can only do a platform upgrade or a PSU upgrade, I'd definitely do the latter one; the DN 450 is a very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU.

There's a reason it's listed as Tier D on our curated power supply tier list. ("Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems ")

A 10% performance bump, for me, fails in comparison to having proper power delivery.

I see, that is an interesting prospect that never occurred to me previously. Few years back before I got into any pc related stuff I was super paranoid of touching or replacing any parts of an OEM build. I went for the DeepCool DN450 basically because I found from a person who actually needed a higher wattage so hardly used it and put it on listing. For me, that was a grab since I was merely on edge with a Dell 275W running a GTX 1050 but because of upgrading to a new case and getting an RX580 8GB in, a basic 80 rated one just looked good for me at the time. I will keep an eye out for some good PSUs appearing on sale.

Thank you

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hello again and thank you everyone for your amazing response and comments. I purchased it and changed over the parts last week and performance difference just in from boot time (M.2) to general task management itself is highly noticeable. I have much higher fps (~300) in CSGO as well which makes it a complete difference with the 144hz monitor that I have compared to the ~200fps I played previously. I added all 3 fans to the motherboard contrary to a PSU Molex powered fan hub I had previously.

Unigine 2 gave me a score of 5444 for 1080p high at avg of 40fps and temp reaching 85deg (only case fan running at the time).

Thanking creators and dev's of Tom's Hardware as well, never fails to deliver.

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
One small doubt while we are on this thread however, I see that my z270 gigabyte has an XMP feature from the tech specs, but I am unable to see it in the BIOS. Is this because the BIOS needs to updated or that the i7 7700(non k) and RAM that I have (currently running at 2133 8GBx2 Dual channel) isn't compatible for XMP? I did see a post on LTT blog (https://linustechtips.com/topic/988951-xmp-for-non-k-cpu/) stating that its possible for 3200mhz, regardless is this worthwhile the effort and performance while being safe?

One small doubt while we are on this thread however, I see that my z270 gigabyte has an XMP feature from the tech specs, but I am unable to see it in the BIOS. Is this because the BIOS needs to updated or that the i7 7700(non k) and RAM that I have (currently running at 2133 8GBx2 Dual channel) isn't compatible for XMP? I did see a post on LTT blog (https://linustechtips.com/topic/988951-xmp-for-non-k-cpu/) stating that its possible for 3200mhz, regardless is this worthwhile the effort and performance while being safe?
Load up a copy of cpuz and see if there is a jedec listing on those ram sticks.
They may be 2133 only.

TRENDING THREADS