i7 7700 - Is my CPU running hot?

Jarrett_4

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Hi,

I recently built an ITX small form factor PC using an i7 7700. The case has no external fans at all, only a grate about 5cm above the CPU fan to atmosphere.

I have used the Noctua LH-9i low profile cooler and I'm getting idle temperatures of around 40-43 degrees, rising to approximately 75-80 degrees when playing The Witcher 3 on full settings.

Are these temps considered to be normal for this type of build and CPU?

For reference, my case is the Silverstone MIlo ML08.

Thanks

Solution
The idle temps are pretty fair but the load temps at 75-80 are moderately high, not at a point where it's a danger but it is enough to be hot and a minor concern. Your CPU cooler is fine for such a CPU but i'm going to say the issue you are having with pretty warm temps under load are due to the lack of airflow in and out of the case. Those temps aren't going to cause any major issues but i would consider investing in a case fan (if not multiple) to get some good airflow in the case which should help with your issue. Hope this helps :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
The idle temps are pretty fair but the load temps at 75-80 are moderately high, not at a point where it's a danger but it is enough to be hot and a minor concern. Your CPU cooler is fine for such a CPU but i'm going to say the issue you are having with pretty warm temps under load are due to the lack of airflow in and out of the case. Those temps aren't going to cause any major issues but i would consider investing in a case fan (if not multiple) to get some good airflow in the case which should help with your issue. Hope this helps :)

Solution

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Do also remember the 7700 is a VERY hot chip. Temperatures like that are not unusual at all.

There is probably very little you can do about it short of delidding your cpu which isn't really worth doing on a non-K cpu.