[SOLVED] i7 7700 Kaby Lake Throttled at .79 GHz

Apr 29, 2020
Hey everyone,

Ive been combing forums all day and have found nothing has helped.

I have recently upgraded to an i7 7700 Kaby Lake 3.6 GHz cpu and the MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Both are from my older brother who has used them with no problem with comparable other parts.

Once installed i flashed the Bios to the most recent build and did a full reinstall of Windows 10.

To my amazement the PC now runs worse than it did before. The CPU is shown to only be utilized up to 22% in Task Manager when idle and in game. The speed constantly sits at .79 GHz.

I have used the MSI CPUz program to stress test and nothing will change. At this point i believe it to be a shot mother board but wanted to ask again if anyone has found a fix before i dump more money into this system. ive tried almost every "fix" on these forums to no avail. The only one i could not try was by using the ThrottleStop program, Once downladed (more than once) it says files are missing from the compressed file download...

I am at wits end becuase i havent been able to play anything in over a week. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Is this just a 'swap mainboard and CPU, reboot, and hope for the best', or a total clean (like new' install?

WIthout proper chipset drivers,(or with incorrect from an earlier build, perhaps), it is not uncommon for the CPU to loaf along near 800 MHz...

Thermal throttling only occurs near 100C, this is more likely just a case of 'no chipset drivers'...
Apr 29, 2020
Upon Installing Intel XTU i find that my CPU is being Thermal Throttled at only 44*C to .79GHz . As pre mentioned ThrottleStop download does not work, so that option is out of the picture....

Is this just a 'swap mainboard and CPU, reboot, and hope for the best', or a total clean (like new' install?

WIthout proper chipset drivers,(or with incorrect from an earlier build, perhaps), it is not uncommon for the CPU to loaf along near 800 MHz...

Thermal throttling only occurs near 100C, this is more likely just a case of 'no chipset drivers'...

Solution