[SOLVED] I7 7700HQ on laptop hitting 99ºC while gaming, should i be worried?

manupa14

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
While idle temperatures are around 55ºC but just now playing FC5 while CPU usage wasn't even 100% most of the time the temperature was around 90ºC spiking to 98 or even 99 in some cases, is this normal for this CPU?

Solution
Could be that stressing out the graphics is where the extra heat comes in. Even with dedicated graphics chips laptop CPU & GPU coolers are often interconnected or sharing intakes etc and it's a very confined space so heating up one tends to heat up the other.

I'm making the assumption you have dedicated graphics of course FC5 seems unlikely to play well on intel graphics.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Laptops do run hot, but that seems a little high. It's possible the intake or outlet vents or the heatsink inside the laptop are clogged with dust and need a clean out. You could try blowing it out with compressed air but don't overdo it as force spinning a fan with air like that is bad for the bearings and can damage them. Use short bursts and if possible wedge the fan so it won't spin (if you can get at it). Unfortunately most laptops don't seem to be designed with cleaning in mind.

Or you could get a cooling pad for it. One simple thing is use it on a hard flat surface and make sure there's an air gap underneath.

manupa14

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

One weird thing though, is that i just ran the intel extreme tuning utility sterss test tool and it kept itself hovering around 80ºC while at 100% usage. Meanwhile in fc5 its getting to 97ºC having the usage at 70 or 60

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Could be that stressing out the graphics is where the extra heat comes in. Even with dedicated graphics chips laptop CPU & GPU coolers are often interconnected or sharing intakes etc and it's a very confined space so heating up one tends to heat up the other.

I'm making the assumption you have dedicated graphics of course FC5 seems unlikely to play well on intel graphics.

Solution
If you have a thin and light laptop with a 7700HQ and GTX 1050 or something, they're honestly just not made for gaming. Running at those temps will shorten the lifespan of your battery and hardware. If it's not an ultrabook, then I would look into whether there's a problem with the fans/heatsink/dust/thermal paste.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016

Having the same issue. Will undervolting it slow it down?