Question i7 7700k + 2070 put into prebuilt severely underperforming

arkger

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I used to have an i5 7400 and 1070, and had extremely high FPS rates on every game that I played, but I recently upgraded both and have started to have severely underperform. My Apex Legends used to run at 150+, and the person who I gave my 1070 to can even run apex better than me now. Whenever I am in the training range, I have around 150 but when I go into game my frames are around 30-40. My COD Warzone is worse, staying around 30 FPS constant even when I turn everything down. When I unparked all of my cores, the performance didn't change. It doesn't matter if my settings are on HIGH or low, but it will always come out round 30-40 frames. Games like CS:GO and league are easily knocked out, and games like Monster Hunter, etc. all run perfectly on Ultra. But the games I want to play most run considerably bad. It makes no sense when I have an i7 and a 2070, and cannot even run games past 60 FPS. I need help immediately!

I've heard of issues with iCue, and I have a corsair mouse and keyboard... but I've always had them and they didn't cause problems before...
Feel free to have me run any benchmarks, show any settings, or anything that can help us find the solution because all I want to do is play video games during this pandemic and the supercomputer I thought I have built is even worse than my computer I had before I upgraded it.

UserBenchmarks: Game 58%, Desk 37%, Work 26%

Specs:

MBD: MSI H110M PRO-D (MS-7996)
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K - 33.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 106.2%
SSD: Sandisk PLUS 240 GB 240GB - 40.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 35.7%
USB: FNK TECH USB CARD READER 32GB - 16.5%
RAM: Unknown DDR4 2400 2OZ 2x8GB - 55.5%

Judging by my results, was I supposed to do anything after installing my i7? Maybe going from the i5 to i7 without reinstalling windows did something? I just need help.

Another update - checked temps and they are all around 95c on all cores, but my stock fan is still running? What do you recommend to check temps, and what cooler should I use now? Is this what's causing the horrible performance?

Last edited:

arkger

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I don't think 95c is really healthy for your CPU. Is that on idle or under load?
it was on idle. I went and bought a hyper212, and it fixed the problem instantly. My old fan was basically hanging off the motherboard, providing no cooling. Thank you guys for the help!