i7-7700k 85c at 4.8GHz Safe?

shabutie95

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Let me start off by saying that I have read that the i7-7700k in particular runs very hot. I'm just not sure what is completely acceptable. I currently am running an H50 liquid cooler. Information I feel like is probably relevant, my motherboard autos pretty much anything I overclock to 1.30 volts. So literally, I was seeing no difference in temps when running my computer at 4.8ghz or 5.0ghz. On overclock's webpage I saw that a lot of people were experiencing great temps after sending their CPU into Silicon Lottery to get a delid done. With drops close 20-25c.

So my big questions come down to this. My idle temps are 27c, but is 85-86c safe max temps for 4.8ghz to 5.0ghz when running benchmarks like time spy and firestrike? Should I try to manually adjust my voltage lower (i've always kept it on manual with any of my overclocks). If it's not safe temps, should I get my CPU delidded? The difference between 4.5ghz and 4.8-5.0 to me is pretty noticeable and I would like to keep my speeds somewhere around there, but I also don't want to short the life span on my CPU.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution

Yep. You just need to understand how to apply it correctly as shown here (in this case he's using a GPU, but same for a CPU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gYL7cjo6qc

With that said, I wouldn't recommend liquid metal unless it is verified your cooler heat sink won't be damaged by it. Grizzly has about the best traditional paste solution.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Timespy and Firestrike are hardly stress test, it's because your "liquid cooler" is bottom end. You need a high end air cooler or AIO for the i7-7700k to overclock properly. 85C on Timespy and Firestrike is really pushing it, those are simulation of gaming and you want under 75C for prolong usage.

Definitely get a better cooler. The Corsair H50 is not up to snuff for serious Kaby Lake 7-series chip overclocking. Regarding de-lidding, that has proven to knock off 15C under load and 1.3v, but as you are surely aware, it's a risky thing to do unless you know *exactly* what you are doing (or have a delidding tool).

For now, back off your overclock until you get a better cooling solution. You will degrade that chip at those temps (even though they are still within Intel's "official" thermals). As a long time overclocker since the Celeron 300 days of the late '90s, anything above 75C for me is an attention getter. Above 80C and I make changes. It's even more critical these days with the smaller nm dies that have less heat tolerance and dissipation capabilities.

shabutie95

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

So what liquid cooler would you recommend? The reason I was looking into more of delid is because even people with the h110i were saying there temps were into the 80c range.

Well Corsair's H110i GT is about the best there is for a closed loop all-in-one water solution. Also check into thermal paste solutions. Every degree drop helps, especially when working and combined together. The top performer out there are liquid metal solutions: http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

shabutie95

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

So you can use liquid metal on top of the lid instead of standard thermal paste?

Yep. You just need to understand how to apply it correctly as shown here (in this case he's using a GPU, but same for a CPU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gYL7cjo6qc

With that said, I wouldn't recommend liquid metal unless it is verified your cooler heat sink won't be damaged by it. Grizzly has about the best traditional paste solution.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS