i7 7700k / ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC - Help!!!

j_dub_2004

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I haven't gone through an overclock in several years, so I apologize if I'm missing something simple here.

I just upgraded to a 7700k on a ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC board. I was super excited to get this thing going with hopes of a soft overclock. However, I'm afraid I've either gotten a bad board, or unlucky with my chip. At stock speeds, after 30 minutes or so of Prime95 Blend, my temps are reaching 81-85c. I am cooling with an EVGA 280mm CLC. My i5 3570k ran much cooler. I know that Kaby runs hot, but this seems ridiculous.

I've attempted to lower my vcore in the BIOS. When on auto, at 100% load, CPUZ is telling me that my voltage is right around 1.216 and bounces up to 1.232. When I go into my BIOS and set my voltage to fixed, and drop the voltage to even 1.225, Prime95 locks up, forcing a restart. It seems I am unable to lower my voltage at all. Does my voltage seem high for stock speeds? I know I won't be able to do much overclocking if I can't change the vcore.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm driving myself crazy.

j_dub_2004

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Yeah, I changed them in the BIOS. I'll just assume that "Auto" sets it to the minimum that it can run.

I ran a Prime95 Blend test overnight last night, 8 hours. The max temp was 83c. Does that seem normal, or still too hot?