Question i7 7700k at 100%

lucasallum12

Commendable
May 13, 2017
when playing games like black ops 3 my CPU is at 90-100%, my gtx 1060 rarely exceeds 60%, i also have 8gb of ram which does reach around 90% that will be upgraded soon, but is there any reason the cpu should be so high, as it seems to be causing considerable choppiness

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. What else is running?
  2. What is the screen resolution and settings? IE what FPS are we talking?
  3. CPU Temperature when it is at 100%? Clock speed? What CPU cooler?

If the clock speed is low, below base speed, and the temperature is high then you have a cooling problem. If you have a water cooler, check that the pump is running, even if it is running doesn't mean it is pumping properly. Could be a trapped air bubble or it is clogged up with debris.

If it is an air cooler, it may have lost contact with the CPU, remount the cooler with new thermal compound. (Same could apply to a water cooler)

If you are trying to run a very high frame rate with a low screen resolution/settings that takes a lot of CPU. Not really much you can do about that. Not much better than the 7700k aside from the 8700k/9700k, 9900k is a bit in a league of its own due to price.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
when playing games like black ops 3 my CPU is at 90-100%, my gtx 1060 rarely exceeds 60%, i also have 8gb of ram which does reach around 90% that will be upgraded soon, but is there any reason the cpu should be so high, as it seems to be causing considerable choppiness
I think your system is being tracked with a mining virus or something i would recommend you to download this https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

Unless you are playing above 1080P with Ultra settings, you are not going to max out the GTX1060 (6 GB) all that often....

And task manager showing 4c/8t CPUs 100% busy in games is normal these days...; even many 8600K/9600K are also 100% busy...

Whatever ratios of' busy you are looking for in task manager....you might not get...

Unless the game stuttering,.. ..just play!

8 GB of system RAM is not helping either, it's a bare minimum these days at best, and plain old 'not enough' in several games these days...