Question I7-7700k at max frequency (4.5ghz) at idle

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
As the title says, recently my CPU just sits at 4.5ghz at very low usage which causes my temps to rise and my cooler to run louder. As other forum posts have said, I have checked my power plan in Control Panel and it is at balanced. Any solutions for this?

MCE (if even an option on your mainboard) will allow/cause it to turbo to 4.5 GHz on all cores under a heavy load, but it won't cause it to sit there all day even under no load...

Being in Performance mode in Windows' power plan will have it sit at max turbo, however...

Try Balanced power plan.....; even w/ MCE enabled (if a factor), it will turbo to 4.5 GHz on all cores (4.2 GHz all core stock) during gaming, and, ramp back down almost instantly to 800 MHz when loafing on the desktop..

Reactions: boju

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
MCE (if even an option on your mainboard) will allow/cause it to turbo to 4.5 GHz on all cores under a heavy load, but it won't cause it to sit there all day even under no load...

Being in Performance mode in Windows' power plan will have it sit at max turbo, however...

Try Balanced power plan.....; even w/ MCE enabled (if a factor), it will turbo to 4.5 GHz on all cores (4.2 GHz all core stock) during gaming, and, ramp back down almost instantly to 800 MHz when loafing on the desktop..

My windows power plan is already at balanced though.

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
Then that means your CPU is overclocked. It is the only other state it can be at (if i am wrong, please someone correct me).
Have you installed some overclocking program or mess with the bios at all?

Nope never. I never messed with any of the settings in the BIOS and it had been working fine up until now.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
Any software you might be using? Like motherboard software or some other hardware control software? If that's not the case then I am clueless, I can find out pretty fast if the computer was in front of me, but since that's not the case I can only give you suggestions.
Can you post a cpu-z screenshot as well too, it will be helpful.

Some malware will also eat CPU cycles, mining BItcoin/Monero, etc., for others....
Or, maybe a botched WIndows update screwed up a chipset driver....

If you set your BIOS to defaults, for sure that will /should remove any BIOS-instigated preset overclocks....

(Does task manager show any particular task associated with this activity?)

If it is botched update or malware...a quick nuke and pave/reinstall should restore things to like new in short order...

Last edited:

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
Any software you might be using? Like motherboard software or some other hardware control software? If that's not the case then I am clueless, I can find out pretty fast if the computer was in front of me, but since that's not the case I can only give you suggestions.
Can you post a cpu-z screenshot as well too, it will be helpful.

I don't actually use any software but there is a bunch of Gigabyte apps related to the motherboard installed. I just uninstalled Realtek audio drives which had high CPU usage and it seemed to bring my clocks down a little, but they are jumping all over the place at idle.

Oct 16, 2019
Check the task manager, what is using your CPU. It is just not possible to sit on idle at max frequency and without anything running if its not overclocked and no other settings applied to it. Check what is running in the background on your task manager so you can see what is the usage because of.
In the last case scenario, it can be faulty hardware, but to come to that is not so likely unless it is the age of the parts, excess physical force or something similar.