I7 7700k Cooler? At stock speeds

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade my rig and i am getting either the 7700k or the 8700k. Really depends on the temps i can keep.

I have the 200r corsair case, so i can only use a cooler 160mm in height which is really limiting. But i really don't want to change the entire case right now.

I was thinking the Cryorig H7 or H5 Ultimate? Would either of those be able to keep the 7700k or 8700k at good temps? I will be doing VR with the Vive.

Thank you!

Solution
Yeah, if you are not going to OC, then I would go with the 8700. If you get the 8700, you wont need a cooler as it comes with a stock cooler from Intel. The 8700 has a lower base clock than the 8700k, but the single core turbo is 4.6ghz. That is only 100mhz lower than the 8700k. You will never notice 100mhz difference in any application. Only in benchmarking will you ever see a difference in a score.

The problem is only Z370 boards are available and they are a little higher than the "H" chipset. But the H370 boards should be released very soon and you can find budget z370's for $90.

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016

Thanks! Both of you.
The 200r actually says i have 165mm, but i figured 160mm would be a good cutoff to leave some room. I already have the I5 6600k with an H7. But may get the H5 Ultimate when upgrade as it is 160mm and should fit.

Out of curiosity, even for the I7 8700k the H7 or H5 would work? I keep seeing people having issues with these coolers and the 8700k, but they seem to be overclocking and not many people are running a 8700k at stock like i would.

At stock speeds you are not going to have any issue running any CPU with the H5 or H7. The 8700k does run hot, but that is because it is being overclocked. Truth be told, the H5 is gonna be overkill for those CPUs if you are not going to be overclocking. I would go with the H7 and save some money.

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016

Sweet, that makes things much easier for me. Would you by any chance happen to know of a solid Z370 Mobo to pair up with the 8700k? I was looking at the following. I am just looking for something reliable, good and easy bios to use, and can OC in the future. And also something that doesn't have USB issues with VR. That is actually what got me to upgrade, i keep reading how my Z170-AR has major issues with USB and VR dropping out repeatedly, and MANY people had this issue so i figure i mind as well just upgrade since i want an I7 anyway. No point in getting an I7 6700k when for nearly the same price i can get 2 gens newer.

Asus Z370-A
Asus Z370-E ROG Strix
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon

MSI Z370 Gaming 5

I cant comment on the USB/VR issues. I dont have VR and dont know a lot about it. As for the motherboard, you are really paying for better overclocking features. So if overclocking is not a big deal for you, then dont pay more for something you wont use. I would look for a decent midrange board.

The ASRock z370 Extreme 4 is a good mid-range board. I also like the MSI Z370 Tomahawk. It should be a good bit cheaper than the other MSI boards you listed, and will serve you very well. If you are not a big overclocker, dont spend much more than $150 on the board. Because you will be paying for things that you dont use.

Some of the Asus z370 strix motherboards had some problems with the LLC. It is not that important if you are not going to overclock and Asus did issue a bios update. But it is something to think about.

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016

Awesome thank you so much. If i don't plan on overclocking would it make sense to just get the I7 8700 and a cheaper Mobo? I assume it will run cooler and just as well as the stock i7 8700k? And i can save a solid bit of money.

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it. I would hate to spend money i don't need to and it always helps to have a vet point you in the right direction.

Yeah, if you are not going to OC, then I would go with the 8700. If you get the 8700, you wont need a cooler as it comes with a stock cooler from Intel. The 8700 has a lower base clock than the 8700k, but the single core turbo is 4.6ghz. That is only 100mhz lower than the 8700k. You will never notice 100mhz difference in any application. Only in benchmarking will you ever see a difference in a score.

The problem is only Z370 boards are available and they are a little higher than the "H" chipset. But the H370 boards should be released very soon and you can find budget z370's for $90.

Solution