Question I7-7700k Delid idle temps too high?

Jun 24, 2019
I have a I7-7700k and its delided with Liquid Metal
and I have a Noctua U14S and my idle temps are 48-53c and
while Gaming and Other Heavy Loads are on 63-66c. Is this normal or too high?

If its too high should i upgrade my Cooler to an Aio or am i fine?

BTW Monthy Cleaning is done so no dust is in there but the U14S has a 140mm fan so cant close the Side Panel

Jun 24, 2019
What are you ambient air temps? Is the processor under an overclock? What sort of voltages are you running on the CPU? Your loads, look fine, but the idle temps look off(until you mention your ambient air temps).

My ambient temp is 25c.
It's stock did not overclock.
Max Voltage it only reaches to 1.245v

CompuTronix

Intel Master
ismailmclie,

The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°C, which is always a critical point of reference, so your ambient is relatively close. Members write into our forums who live in climatic environments anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator, so indoor ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F), which can be a HUGE variable.

Keep in mind that when watching YouTube videos or reading through temperature threads on various forums, users who are "less informed" tend to fling idle and load temperature numbers around like Gorilla poo in a cage. Simply mentioning "load" or "full load" could mean anything, and without providing ambient temperature, there's no point of reference.

Processor temperatures involve 3 major variables; environment, hardware and software.

• Is what you're referring to as "idle" really idle?

Idle means minimal activity, which is only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. Idle does not mean a light workload, such as typing in forums while watching a YouTube with 10 tabs open and numerous unnecessary processes, services, startup programs and "tray trash" left over from software installs running in the background.

With good case airflow and a good CPU cooler, if idle is really a clean and quiet idle, then your idle temperature may be as little as 3°C above ambient. With average case airflow and a fair CPU cooler, about 10 to 15°C above ambient is more typical, especially with unkempt software that only gives you a sloppy and noisy idle that's actually more of a light load.

• You mentioned "other heavy loads" ... such as what?

Although "Throttle" temperature for the 7700K is 100°C, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Gaming generally averages around 55°C, yet can range from 40 to 70°C, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in overall cooling performance and ambient temperature.

If you're interested, we actually have a guide for this topic. If you'd like to get yourself up to speed, then read: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

CT 😎

Jun 24, 2019
The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°C, so your ambient is relatively close. Members write into our Forums who live in climatic environments anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator, so indoor ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F), which can be a HUGE variable.

Keep in mind that when watching YouTube videos or reading through temperature threads on various Forums, users who are "poorly informed" tend to fling load and idle temperature numbers around like Gorilla poo in a cage.

Processor temperatures involve 3 major variables; environment, hardware and software.

• Is what you're referring to as "idle" really idle?

Idle means minimal activity, which is only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. Idle does NOT mean a light workload, such as typing in the Forum while watching a YouTube with 10 tabs open with numerous unnecessary processes, services, startup programs and "tray trash" left over from software installs running in the background.

• You mentioned "other heavy loads" ... such as what?

Although "Throttle" temperature for the 7700K is 100°C, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Gaming generally averages around 55°C, yet can range from 40 to 70°C, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in overall cooling performance and ambient temperature.

If you're interested, we actually have a guide for this topic. So if you'd like to get yourself up to speed, you might want to read: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

CT 😎
Other Heavy Loads as After Affects and Premier Pro such as Rendering but those are not CPU intensive
and idle as idle. Nothing Running in the background. Cpu useage 2-3% and still around 48-55 idle temps

CompuTronix

Intel Master
In order to get a valid baseline load temperature, you need to test your rig using a valid 100% TDP workload, which is Prime95. Download the latest version, then run only Small FFT's with all AVX selections disabled. 10 minutes is more than adequate.

• Prime95 v29.8 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Under these test conditions at 25°C ambient with your Noctua U14S, a properly delidded 7700K at 1.245 Vcore should definitely be less than 80°C, but more likely in the low 70's. This will tell us if your delid and cooling is good, and if the high idle problem is elsewhere.

What monitoring utility are you running?

CT 😎

In Balanced Power plan, with no MCE mode enabled in BIOS, my 7700K's idle temps at 800-1000 MHz were approximately 30-31C. (core voltages are as low as .725 V in this condition, spiking to 1.262V or so when turboing (single core)to 4.5 GHz, where temps would be about 56C under gaming loads, and 65C under Prime95/small FFT; with MCE enabled, and all cores turboing to 4.5 GHz temps rise to 71C under full load, and with peak turbo raised to 4.7 GHz, max at torture load temps are 77C...)

(I'd think 48-53C idle temps would about 10C higher than normal, at least based on my sample, but, ~63C gaming loads are not too far off...; does your MB have MCE mode enabled, per chance, which turbos all cores to 4.5 GHz? Asus' BIOS and MCE mode to default auto/enabled were common two years ago..)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
In order to get a valid baseline load temperature, you need to test your rig using a valid 100% TDP workload, which is Prime95. Download the latest version, then run only Small FFT's with all AVX selections disabled. 10 minutes is more than adequate.

Under these test conditions at 25°C ambient with your Noctua U14S, a properly delidded 7700K at 1.245 Vcore should definitely be less than 80°C, but more likely in the low 70's. This will tell us if your delid and cooling is good, and if the high idle problem is elsewhere.

What monitoring utility are you running?

CT 😎
https://ibb.co/2Y9kyJB

CompuTronix

Intel Master
ismailmclie,

Your Core temperatures at 100% workload when running Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT's (AVX disabled) look excellent, and appear to bear out that your delid and cooling are both good.

Your screenshot shows that you're using "Hardware Monitor". Instead, "Hardware Info" is frequently updated and is preferred for best accuracy and for the most detailed information:

Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Select "Sensors Only" when you run it.

In the upper left hand corner of Windows Task Manager, it shows a CPU frequency that corresponds to what would be the stock / default all-Core value without MCE, which is 4.4 GHz . However, other information in Task Manager is indeed puzzling.

Referring again to the upper left hand corner, it shows your CPU is at 100%, which is inconsistent with the individual Core / Logical processor graph patterns, that instead indicate a light workload.

Further, it also shows considerable Ethernet activity with which the graph patterns appear to correspond. Moreover, memory usage is much higher than what would be expected during either a simple 100% load test or an idle test, which suggests there's more software activity in the background than what's being revealed under the Performance tab.

Keep in mind that Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in power consumption, which is driven strictly by changes in software workload activity. Your screenshot does NOT indicate either a clean 100% workload, OR a clean "idle", which may point to the reason for your high idle temperatures.

A processor at "idle" should look like this:

Note how the Wi-Fi spikes correspond to the ripples on the CPU baseline.

• What exactly is running during your screenshot?

• Have you checked the "Process" and "Startup" tabs for unwanted / unnecessary software activities?

• Are all BIOS settings for default power saving features on Auto / Enabled?

• As mdd1963 mentioned, are you using Windows balanced power plan?

• Have you scanned for viruses and malware?

CT 😎

Your operating temperatures are very good.
It is the idle temperatures that are high.
That is not really a problem.
Your noctua cooler is one of the best and a small aio would be a downgrade.
What I suspect is happening is your fan speed control.
At idle, your fan may be running at low rpm or even off.
Under load, the fan will run at higher rpm giving better cooling.
With a case cover off, the cooler may not be getting all the air it needs to cool down to 10-15c. over ambient.
HWmonitor should show the rpm of the fan at minimal and high loads.

Really, you need do nothing.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
mdd1963,

The links to 26.6 in Prime95's forums at mersenneforum.org haven't worked for many weeks. If you actually click on the links for 64 bit, etc., you'll get the following: "This site can't be reached. The webpage at ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v266.zip might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_FTP_FAILED"

Darkbreeze has a link on his Beginners Guide To Overclocking Your CPU to a German website, TECHNIC 3D that hosts links to 26.6 for the 32 & 64 bit versions. Otherwise, a Google search will reveal that Prime95 v26.6 is widely unavailable.

Consequently, my Intel Temperature Guide instead links to the latest version, 29.8, which finally allows the user to simply click on the boxes to "disable" the selections for AVX, AVX2 & AVX512:

What I suspect is happening is your fan speed control.
At idle, your fan may be running at low rpm or even off.
Under load, the fan will run at higher rpm giving better cooling.
HWmonitor should show the rpm of the fan at minimal and high loads.

geofelt,

Good thought. The screenshot shows both motherboard headers for CPU & Pump (obviously another fan) in the Minimum column at zero RPM. Although that may be suspicious and indicate improper fan settings in BIOS, it also occurs when the motherboard fails to sense RPM when it drops below a certain threshold.

ismailmclie,

As per geofelt's thoughts, please confirm that your CPU fan doesn't stop when at idle.

CT :sol:

Last edited:
mdd1963,

The links to 26.6 in Prime95's forums at mersenneforum.org haven't worked for many weeks. If you actually click on the links for 64 bit, etc., you'll get the following: "This site can't be reached. The webpage at ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v266.zip might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_FTP_FAILED"

Noted, thanks.

(I did a quick test of v29.8 with assorted AVX options disabled, and temps were indeed identical to those obtained under my earlier testing with v26.6...)

Reactions: CompuTronix
Jun 24, 2019
it was some services that i downloaded and always runned in the background so it was high 40s so i disabled it so its now on 37-39c so were good now <3 Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions