[SOLVED] I7 7700k delided still runs very hot 80c idle

Jan 9, 2021
Hey Guys. So my i7 7700k startet to get very hot a couple days ago so i decided to put some new thermal paste on on. I ofc cleaned it with some alcohol\sprit. And that didn't work. so i heard alot of people who got it delided and they said that it was running about 15-30c lower. BUT that didn't help in my case it stayed the same

I know the aio pump is running

I have a corsiar water cooler

Im from Danmark so sorry for bad English 😁😁

Solution
It is not clear to me:
Was the processor already delidded and started to get hot?
Or, did you have it delidded and that did not seem to work?

Possibly something has gone wrong with the delid process.

What kind of paste did you use?
Alcohol 92% if you can find it works with most pastes.
Spirits can have contaminants.

Seems to me that having one tube hot and the other cold would be a normal thing. The hot tube is heated up by the cpu and the cold tube is returning cooler fluid after it has been cooled by the radiator.

AIO coolers lose fluid and air does intrude after a while.
This may or may not be important.
Here are two videos to watch.
Look at them BOTH from beginning to end to understand how a liquid cooler works...

Tobaaymalonaay

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
its old. About 4 years

Hmm, that could be your issue then, over years with AIO coolers you do lose a certain amount of fluid, but the fact one of your pipes is hot and the other cold indicate that there is a lack of coolant flow in the system. This is more than likely your issue, id recommend swapping out to a fan cooler if you have one and comparing the temps, but ultimately id recommend a new cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey Guys. So my i7 7700k startet to get very hot a couple days ago so i decided to put some new thermal paste on on. I ofc cleaned it with some alcohol\sprit. And that didn't work. so i heard alot of people who got it delided and they said that it was running about 15-30c lower. BUT that didn't help in my case it stayed the same

I know the aio pump is running

I have a corsiar water cooler

Im from Danmark so sorry for bad English 😁😁
What cooler Corsair is very vague.
Your cooling was fine not it's not changing paste did not help. I frown on deliding, one side of the AIO tube is hot other side cold to me = failed cooler. Their usually only good for about 5 years.

Reactions: Tobaaymalonaay
It is not clear to me:
Was the processor already delidded and started to get hot?
Or, did you have it delidded and that did not seem to work?

Alcohol 92% if you can find it works with most pastes.
Spirits can have contaminants.

Seems to me that having one tube hot and the other cold would be a normal thing. The hot tube is heated up by the cpu and the cold tube is returning cooler fluid after it has been cooled by the radiator.

AIO coolers lose fluid and air does intrude after a while.
This may or may not be important.
Here are two videos to watch.
Look at them BOTH from beginning to end to understand how a liquid cooler works.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwA7ygTJn0

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, not as much as you'd think.

I have a Cryorig A80.
Two temp probes fastened to each of the tubes, LCD display, to read the surface temp.

At idle, they are at most 0.2C different.
CPU temp - 38C
Skin temp of the two tubes - 26.2 and 26.3 (up and down a tenth or two)

After about 15 mins of Prime95...
CPU temp - 57C
Skin temp of the tubes - 28.8 and 29.0

The fluid is moving fast enough to be mostly at equilibrium through the whole path.

If one tube is noticeably hotter than the other, that speaks to poor liquid flow.

Reactions: CompuTronix
D

Deleted member 2838871

That was my first thought.

I delid mine when I built my previous 7700k system in April 2017 and turned out fine. Temps did drop... by 20C. I did it the way it was supposed to be done though... (I guess?) With the tool from Rockit Cool that idiot proofs the entire process. I used "Coollaboratory Liquid Metal Ultra 100% Metal TIM" in the process as well.

Never had a problem with heat in nearly 4 years and sold it a month ago... along with the X62 AIO that was still working great.