i7 7700K does not work with ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can hel pme here as I am at the end of my tether... I have recently (in the last week) bought a brand new ROG Maximus VIII Hero MoBo and a i7 7700K LGA 1151 CPU.

I installed both and all the other parts, booted the system and the board locks with a Q code of 62 and the VGA_LED (white light on).

I started trouble shooting, removed all the USB interfaces, removed the RAM (replaced the RAM, block by block in the correct order) removed the graphics card, removed everything and have tried all different cominations).... still the same issue.

So, I tried my ne CPU in someone elses PC that was compatable and their CPU in my board... my board started and went straight into BIOS... whoopi i thought, DOA CPU... easy, return and get refund...

I then bought the same i7 7700k form a different vendor.... and tonight the exact same problem... HELP please.

Solution
your cpu is kaby lake. the only way it will work with a z170 board is if a skylake cpu is installed in it first in order to flash the bios to newest version.

z270 boards support your cpu from the start

user11464

Notable
Feb 25, 2017
your cpu is kaby lake. the only way it will work with a z170 board is if a skylake cpu is installed in it first in order to flash the bios to newest version.

z270 boards support your cpu from the start

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Revert? What are you reverting? You shouldn't be reverting anything. You need to update the bios of your rog maximus VIII to one that supports kaby lake. To do that you need a compatible skylake cpu in order to get into the bios and apply the update.

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
hello all, no joy. It eother hangs on Q 00 or stops at Q62 again, any other thoughts? I used this link for the BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

user11464

Notable
Feb 25, 2017
if you can't get a skylake cpu in the motherboard and upgrade the bios, you can probably return the motherboard as long as you didn't bend any pins... and get the correct motherboard that supports kaby lake out of the box

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

How are you even getting into the bios? Do you have a compatible skylake cpu on hand? And as that page you linked clearly says, that is for an asus Z170A, you said you have an asus rog maximus VII hero. Get the bios update for the motherboard you have.

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
you mean I need a differnet CPU to apply the BIOS and then re-install teh 7700K? all at sea... [/quotemsg]

Yes you need a skylake cpu, or you cant get into the bios to apply the update. [/quotemsg]

mmmh - I have a button on the board at the back and i downloaded the BIOS form from https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

the manual says, that i can insert the USB drive and then press the button (blue light comes on, the USB drive is read) adn then it hangs at Q 00 or goes to Q 66

user11464

Notable
Feb 25, 2017
like people said, you have to have a skylake cpu in the socket in order to get into bios and flash it. no way around it. you aren't going to be able to boot a usb with the firmware on it and have it work until a skylake cpu is in it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, I did not know the maximus had that feature.

If you used this link for your bios update as you said above, that is the bios for the wrong motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

You need to format your USB drive to FAT32, then put in that .CAP file. Right click on your usb drive in file explorer, select 'format', and make sure 'file system' is set to FAT32, not NTFS.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

It might have to be FAT32 according to this: https://rog.asus.com/technology/rog-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/