i7-7700k High tempatures when running a game/ and little other things

Jul 5, 2018
I have a i7-700k on a MSI Z270 M7, OVERCLOCKED to 4.8GHz, with a Corsair H115I extreme water cooler, and im getting temps sometimes spiked to 99 or low 90's then go down to 70's, or low 80's. Idle temps are mid 50-65's.Should I be worried?
HzryBzO

Solution
Auto up to 1.52 is the acceptable input ranges, not the current value. Looks like it is set to 1.275 which shouldn't be melting the CPU. (I run 1.4 with custom cooling)

I ran into 90C spikes with the CPU before I re-pasted the heatspreader, definitely one of the cores wasn't getting cooled quite right. There were a lot of complaints in the early days since it ran so much hotter than the average 6700k. As long as it passes QC there could be anything under there.

Stock with a liquid cooler of that size I wouldn't expect to see spikes above 85C.

I also lean towards a slightly mis-installed cooler. It doesn't take much for one corner or another to not be quite tight enough. And I have had Corsair coolers and thin motherboards that would...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most people seem to delid them to overclock, though I would think an H115i could do better. Make sure it is clamped on there properly. If you can push on it and it gets cooler, you probably need to add some washers between the backplate and motherboard to get a little more force.

It actually IS normal. Intel wrote people about that generation of CPU's in particular hitting high 90's easily during quick spikes.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248908-intel-responds-i7-overheating-issue-cluelessly-suggests-stop-overclocking

Also, the SILICON LOTTERY means that every core of every i7-7700K will vary in the temperature it hits given the same CPU so yours may be fine and others can run hotter.

*My advice is to drop the frequency and thus voltage if concerned about the longevity of the CPU. Intel recommends no more than 80degC sustained usage though I'm not sure how those SPIKES affect longevity.

You only gain 4% (which I doubt is observable) going from 4.6GHz to 4.8GHz anyway so I'd just drop to 4.6GHz then adjust the voltage to the lowest number that is stable.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Well then I must have gotten lucky because I have never seen my 7700k exceed maybe 80c or so in a stress test. With much less in terms of cooling.

Dunlop0078,
I just updated my post. Maybe you are lucky, or maybe you aren't looking at the quick spikes at all depending on what program you are using to analyze.

Anyway, my understanding is that those spikes are probably fine if the sustained temperature sits below 80degC. Worst case you might find over time you have to drop the clock a bit to be stable but I've not heard of many outright CPU failures due to temperature when running recommended temperatures.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A spike to 99c will likely cause the cpu to throttle. I wouldn't be okay with that considering the type of cooling the OP has. In my opinion this is not because of inadequate paste under the IHS, it is because the cooler is not mounted properly/ functioning properly or they are using an excessive amount of voltage. It does not take much more voltage over what is set to stock on most mobos to get a 7700k to 4.8ghz, i'm stable at 1.25v which is pretty average.

EDIT: If you are using an auto OC feature on your mobo I would bet that is causing the high temps. I would recommend you read an OC guide for the 7700k and do it properly if you want to overclock. What does "auto 1.5200" mean? If it is spiking to 1.52v vcore that is absurd.

Jul 5, 2018

Yes I am using an auto OC feature through my mobo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Auto up to 1.52 is the acceptable input ranges, not the current value. Looks like it is set to 1.275 which shouldn't be melting the CPU. (I run 1.4 with custom cooling)

I ran into 90C spikes with the CPU before I re-pasted the heatspreader, definitely one of the cores wasn't getting cooled quite right. There were a lot of complaints in the early days since it ran so much hotter than the average 6700k. As long as it passes QC there could be anything under there.

Stock with a liquid cooler of that size I wouldn't expect to see spikes above 85C.

I also lean towards a slightly mis-installed cooler. It doesn't take much for one corner or another to not be quite tight enough. And I have had Corsair coolers and thin motherboards that would bottom out on the threads before reaching an acceptable clamping force. I had to use washers on two different installations.

Solution
Jul 5, 2018

Should I go down or up with my core voltage?