i7-7700k - High temps with H110i

Waglow_Girth

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Hey everyone, I just recently upgraded my rig and I'm experiencing high temperatures on my 7700k and H110i.

Under Prime95 Small FFTs load I am reaching temps of 90°C just after a minute or so of running it.

Idle temps around 36°C

Other heavy loads get up to about 75°C

I am using the OC tool in my MSI board to put me at 4.8ghz and I haven't done any manual overclocking myself.

All of these tests were done while my fans were set to max through Corsair Link 4.

PC Specs:
CPU: i7-7700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i
MOBO: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB
RAM: Team Dark 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W Gold
Soundcard: Creative Labs Z PCIe
SSD: Samsung 256gb 850 Pro
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Phanteks Eclipse Series P400S

Solution

jdcranke07

Honorable

That's a bit high for temps, but if that's only during the small FFTs test, then you're fine. That test is made specifically to test your heat limits. Only way to reduce those temps are to have higher end cooling solutions, dial back your overclock, or lower your voltage without sacrificing stability.

Your first problem is using the automatic overclocking utility. Those ALWAYS overvolt the heck out of a cpu. All cpus are different, pouring a bunch of voltage into it in order to guarantee a high clock is a nonsensical idea. It will kill your cpu or motherboard early.

I suggest you work on actually overclocking that chip via the system bios. I bet you'll be able to get a stable 4.8ghz overclock without overheating it.

Solution