i7 7700k HIGH TEMPS.

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
My temperatures for my i7 7700k go from 36 degrees C idle to 94C in 3 seconds on this CPU stresser I'm using. I started the stress and saw my cpu sky rocketed in temperature and immediately ended the test any ideas?

Solution
try to remount the cooler. pay attention to how is the TIM spread on the CPU and cooler.
make sure that 1.2 is the core voltage under load (HWInfo x64, HWMonitor etc).
make sure that MB is running with the latest BIOS.
if above does not help, reset the BIOS to defaults.

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

I have a Cryorig H7 Cpu Cooler and the voltage said 1.2?

try to remount the cooler. pay attention to how is the TIM spread on the CPU and cooler.
make sure that 1.2 is the core voltage under load (HWInfo x64, HWMonitor etc).
make sure that MB is running with the latest BIOS.
if above does not help, reset the BIOS to defaults.

Solution

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

If I need more thermal paste do I have to remove the existing or just add on to it?

better would be cleaning.
and you don't need much of the thermal paste. the correctly mounted cooler supposed to have very little space between it and CPU.
the thing is that the paste supposed to be spread equally on the CPU (but look on both cooler and CPU to get the whole picture as one of them may complete another)

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Is there an average temperature website for the i7 7700k? Because I want to compare my temps and be sure if they are too hot or not, I got my benchmarks down from 80 to 72 as max temp but want to compare with other 7700k owners as well.

72C max on cores is good and within spec
You can not directly compare with others as:
* Ambient temperature difference
* Air humidity
* Room ventilation
* Case airflow different
* Different MB manufacturers
* Different BIOS settings
* Different overclocks
I can continue. There is no average. There is a within spec or not. Under synthetic loads, the cores temperature below 85C considered safe. Below 75C considered good.

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Do you think it's worth switching out my Cryorig h7 for a liquid cooler? if so what would you recommend that isn't above 120 dollars? My case is a corsair spec 01 red.

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Yeah after more thinking I agree and think I'll just sit with it and try to better optimize my airflow with cleaning out my dust and having the PC at an angle so it's not right up against the wall.

rainmaker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Hi,
just my two cents:

i7 7700k, stock 4,2GHz, 1,25V
Noctua NH 9US cooler
GB Z270X Gaming Ultra

idle or light Windows work: 38-40C
load: OCCT app, CPU load, 90% of memory - 74C

Making sure my top-back PC case cooler is sucking the air OUT of the case decreased the temps by some 4C!

teddytoodle

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I would say if you can get it to idle at 36 degrees which is the lowest i can get on water cooling.
how could it get to 94 degrees?
It really does not make sense.
You must have a hot room, take the side panel off
and blow a fan on it.
other wise, get rid of fan cooling and buy water cooling, they are easy to install.
watch a video on youtube.
cheers tod

EpicLegendsHD

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

I solved the issue a long time ago, my mobo had AUTO voltage that was set way too high and hurt my temps as a result, I also re-seated my cooler and put on new thermal paste which helped temps.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Intel said the i7 7700 and 7700K are hot running CPU's and put out a warning not to overclock them. Mine hits 83C tops even with an aftermarket cooler, I haven't used the stock cooler so I could imagine it would be higher with one.

ace7580

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
sorry for the late reply i figured out how to lower the temps abit if your willing to sacrifice some clock speed, what i did was went into control panel >power options >power plan of choice > change plan settings > change advance power settings > then opened processor power management > minimum processor state ,i made this 5% then changed maximum processor state to 99%.

ever since i did this my temps cooled down from idles of 40-47c to around 31-33c ,because what this does is disables intel turbo boost clock,because i found mine running at a constant 4.5ghz no matter what i was doing be it gaming or leaving my pc idle the temps were always the same or higher depending on the game, max ive hit was 70c, now its been 47c.

sorry for the babbling, btw i found this solution from a guy on this website https://www.tautvidas.com/blog/2011/04/disabling-intel-turbo-boost/

bwbockman

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Personally, I have an overkill watercooling setup on my 7700k (360mm rad) and at stock speeds / voltages my chip was hitting about 85C max. I think with many of these kaby lake chips, the bottleneck is actually the cheap TIM Intel elected to use, not your cooling setup. The only way I was able to improve my temps was by deliding/reliding the cpu. My stock temps now are about 62C max under load.

shamsul_arefin

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

Sir, I am also getting an intensely high temperature in my i7 7700, the RMA dept said, it is usual. Now I understand I am not alone. I am using Cryorig H7, my cpu reaches 82 degrees at max in a ROG bench test, and regularly reaches 70-72 degrees on load