i7 7700k hot hot hot w/ h100i v2

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
so i got the i7 and i am hitting numbers on my overclock around up to 95c after 2 min of a small FFTs test. my oc atm is 4.8 ghz with 1.3v but it goes up to 1.312. idle temps are around 30-37c

specs:
i7 7700k cpu
asus z170-a mb
16gb ram
radeon r9 390 gpu
h100i v2 liquid cooling running max on everything, with q fan control disabbled in bios
2 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan replacing the default fans on the radiator
evga supernova 650w gold+ psu

i tried 2 different i7 7700ks and they both run this hot so im thinking it could be something with the water in the liquid cooling? i dont know how to diagnose liquid cooling issues but i know everything is running max rpms. i also under clocked the voltage to 1.18 or so and was still hitting mid 80s. high temps really bother me and i would love this problem to be fixed. thanks!

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

3k on performance mode and 2k on quiet

sounds right

what temp if just run a ton of stuff at once rather than torture testing it?

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

26.6 which someone told me to get to avoid that issue

yes my initial thought is the 7700k runs hot--it could just be that though hitting 95c with the pump and fan at max does sound a bit high

and prime95 is just a pure torture test

thats why i suggested a more realistic test

i really dont know why people think you MUST torture your cpu with prime95 to prove your overclock

if it doesnt crash doing what you normally do on your pc thats stable to me

Irlvexed

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I have mine at 4.8ghz @ 1.32v (although it bounces from 1.312 to 1.328) literally just to keep temps in check, @ 5ghz and 4.9ghz temps hit 95c and started throttling. I never use prime95 anymore, I always test for 20-30 minutes in aida64 stress test just to make sure the pc isn't going to die when I'm doing school work or playing games. Maybe we just need to give our h100iv2's a boot, If tempts stay this hot I'll look into returning this cooler and might go with a larger radiator version from nzxt.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

on the intel extreme utility stress test its still pushing up to 87 5 min in

Prime95 and IBT do not use normal instructions.
I like to test with OCCT.

Heat is generated by high vcore necessary to sustain a given multiplier.
It would seem that you get a decent multiplier with a vcore in the 1.3 area.
I think there is something amiss in your cooling setup.

The idle temps seem about right si I think the cooler is working.

What case do you have?
Any cooler needs fresh air to do its job.
Do you do better if you take the case covers off?

fwiw:
As of 1/13/17
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-7700K
4.9 74%
5.0 56%
5.1 26%
5.2 5%

try

setting it to default speed for the moment and default voltage

and run the intel utility i linked

not xtu

easier to get an idea at stock speed and voltage to see if your corsair is mounted properly

and as said decent case airflow can play a part

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

i tested with the diagnostics tool at my oc state and it looked like it was at 55c during the cpu load part of the test, it did spike to 83 at one point during it

it should have given you a temperature expected and temperature obtained message

and a pass or fail

though the idea was to run it at default speed and voltage as not sure if the temp expected/obtained and pass/fail is calibrated for anything other than

default speed/voltage

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

unless ur talking about this i dont see the temp expected and obtained
this was during idle
Expected Greater than 1 degrees below max
Received 70 degrees below max
Test PASSED

and during the test it waas at 50

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
I've reseated my pump a couple of times now since I've gotten it, and oddly every time I have, it ended up with slightly lower temps. I'd attribute it to more knowledge and a better understanding of mounting with each attempt.

I'm not sure if you did end up reseating.
What thermal paste/grease are you using for between the pump and the cpu?

I do remember asking you to generate a new thread and I'm glad you did. You've gotten way more hits on this issue specifically this way.

"and during the test it was at 50" is helpful

thats near enough the same as what i get if i put mine to default--maybe 5 more than me or so

though my pumps and fans are only at 1200rpm on pump

and 800rpm on fan

but i have a custom loop not an AIO

but around 50 during the test looks like a normal result

so still not sure theres any thing wrong with your corsair or its mounting

still think you should real world test it by heavy gaming or something as just not a fan of prime95 or torture tests

ok since you were only running the small FFT test which dont think is as much torture

heres something to compare against

i dropped to default speed and voltage to try to give a level playing field as much as possible

pump at 1500rpm and fans at 1,000rpm

after 5 minutes of test this is what i get