i7 7700k hot hot hot w/ h100i v2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
so i got the i7 and i am hitting numbers on my overclock around up to 95c after 2 min of a small FFTs test. my oc atm is 4.8 ghz with 1.3v but it goes up to 1.312. idle temps are around 30-37c

specs:
i7 7700k cpu
asus z170-a mb
16gb ram
radeon r9 390 gpu
h100i v2 liquid cooling running max on everything, with q fan control disabbled in bios
2 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan replacing the default fans on the radiator
evga supernova 650w gold+ psu

i tried 2 different i7 7700ks and they both run this hot so im thinking it could be something with the water in the liquid cooling? i dont know how to diagnose liquid cooling issues but i know everything is running max rpms. i also under clocked the voltage to 1.18 or so and was still hitting mid 80s. high temps really bother me and i would love this problem to be fixed. thanks!

if so it could be how you are tightening the block down

my method

tighten only a little at a time

screw 1

screw3

screw 2

screw 4

keep repeating trying to turn each screw the same amount each time until it bottoms out

then i look at the rear of the motherboard

you should be able to see the ends of the screws coming through the threaded holes

i always check that it looks like they all came through by the same amount

therefore the block should be on flat

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

https://gyazo.com/14fb803690c74aea79a261fdd14f2a49

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

did it using my fingers and then do the opposite screws so yeah

but did you fully tighten the screws with your fingers

ie--did you fully tighten say screw 1

then fully tighten screw 3

then fully tighten screw 2

then fully tighten screw 4

guess what i mean is doing opposite screws is right

but not if you are fully tightening any of them straight away

if that makes sense

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

yeah i tightened them straight away

then the block probably isnt sitting flat

you need to tighten them gradually

well since his pump seems to work

unless its far too much thermal paste

and given that he fully tightened the first screw which would lift the opposite corner

its looking pretty good chance that the block was just out of level enough to cause the problem

fingers crossed if he reseats it like i said he will be sorted

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I use hearing when tightening the springbolts on the CPU block and I use a markerpen just as the bolts first grabs alittle hold then mark the bolts and try and remember how many turns per time.
Then at the first sound of springs making sound it's good to do a full turn per bolt per time and if I have the slightest bad feeling I just boot it up and check noise temps just for measure even though the bios might show
wrong temp still you can see if you get better temps this way it works for me anyway just a suggestion.
Had a bad experience with a delidded CPU earlier this year managed to crack the on die.

Also another suggestion for the H100i cooler is atleast to my knowledge the radiator is alittle air pressure restricted compared the other AOI kits so I would if you can spare the the room for push-pull setup and pick fans with more static pressure and good airflow and the best of both worlds fan has to go to corsair ML120PRO
airflow is 12 - 75 CFM
Static Pressure 0.2 - 4.2 mmH20
Sound Level 16 - 37 dBA
Speed 400 - 2400 RPM
It's a premium fan that is abit expensive but well worth in my opinion.

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Well never seen or had anything that comes close in performance to be honest I have 3x480 radiators push-pull .
I ran singelside fans first of with HWLabs black ice nemesis GTR 480 radiators and they screamed for more airflow then installed p/p with everything Corsair ML120 pro red leds and the radiators are performing awesome at much lower rpms I never go above 1500 rpm and the scaling is even more incredible with p/p .
I'm hooked and sold

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thats a bad spread of thermalpaste no doubt how did you put on the CPU?
Usually the best way is to use a razor apply paste in e thing string across the length of the lid on CPU about 2mm in thickness and work the paste outward towards egdes and it should be fine and I prefer using chemicaly purified petroleum on the cpublock and the CPU lid use cottonswabs and paper coffeefilters are great cuss they don't leave fibers.

walshlg

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Intel is infamous for doing a bad job putting tim in the silicon itself! If you notice 1 or 2 cores much hotter than the others tthein this almost always the reason.
If you are brave, you can fix it yourself: heat up cpu / board glue and pry the can off of the board exposing the naked silicon. Clean and apply nonabrasive tim to the siliconand put the can back on, use heat resistant glue to glue the edge of the can in place while keeping a few pounds of weight on the can. When glue sets, mount away.

You can find "de-lidding" vids on UTub and reports of these problems on the net

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
All cpus have from intel have that problem and btw what paste are you using? Team grizzlys hydronaut is an uber paste otherwise .
But delidding the cpu is a gamble im pretty sure it will be more
Than ok if the paste is applied better.

If you intend to try this for
Gods sake buy the Debu8er delidmate from
OverclockersUK for
20 quids

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Dismount the water block and upload a picture and take a picture around the socket where you have the mounting installed and if possible get a few pictures from backplate to.

Splas0rr

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Off topic note just got confirmed shipping id for my radiators I'm like a kid jumping up and down will be delivered to my house on monday.
Got an epic project waiting to start
In the phanteks elite case