i7 7700k hot hot hot w/ h100i v2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
so i got the i7 and i am hitting numbers on my overclock around up to 95c after 2 min of a small FFTs test. my oc atm is 4.8 ghz with 1.3v but it goes up to 1.312. idle temps are around 30-37c

specs:
i7 7700k cpu
asus z170-a mb
16gb ram
radeon r9 390 gpu
h100i v2 liquid cooling running max on everything, with q fan control disabbled in bios
2 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan replacing the default fans on the radiator
evga supernova 650w gold+ psu

i tried 2 different i7 7700ks and they both run this hot so im thinking it could be something with the water in the liquid cooling? i dont know how to diagnose liquid cooling issues but i know everything is running max rpms. i also under clocked the voltage to 1.18 or so and was still hitting mid 80s. high temps really bother me and i would love this problem to be fixed. thanks!

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
I resat it and made sure it was tightly in, holding the screws on the backplate down to ensure a snug fit, did a stress test on intel diagnostics thing and 4.8ghz 1.3v it hit 99 in 8 seconds and I cancelled it, going to take it off again and see if the thermal compound is getting to the heat sink, if it doesn't then I'm not sure why it's not connecting to the CPU tightly

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
The little standoffs that are used for the screws on the backplate don't touch the motherboard leaving room for it to jiggle could that be why I can't tighten down my heat sink all the way to make the connection perfect to the CPU? Or is there suppose to be a little gap

Irlvexed

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Perhaps you're using the wrong standoffs, the h100i v2 comes with 3 different sets

Irlvexed

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I was having a similar issue with mine, couldn't hurt to be positive on that though, would suck to have gone through all of this for it to only end up being the wrong standoffs lol

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Yes and I think I figured it out, with my case back window the backplate is being blocked from being pushed out on my side leaving that side from getting even connection with CPU, I might have to install with motherboard loose or out then put it in the case

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
For some reason my h115 came with three sets where the one end on each set had different threads. It didn't even make sense as there was only one set that actually screwed into the threads whatsoever.

It should seat all the way down in it. Just get the backplate in behind the Mobo and the standoffs on the other side. It'll be slightly loose. When you tighten down the cooler it will snug up.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
No it's my case, watch the video, the backplate doesn't fully fit to the holes I have to push the mobo forward to get the one part of the backplate in, so when I go to put the cooler on it get blocked from the case and that side doesn't get full contact hence why my thermal compound is half on, I don't know how I can use this liquid cooling with my case it doesn't work out

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
That's how loose mine was. You need to use the standoff that has the same threads on both ends, if you're not. Theres one with short tip but wider thread that doesn't fit and one with wider thread that doesn't fit right. Screw it all the way down and then pull on the standoffs a little to pull the plastic backplate through all the way. Then screw the cooler on.

This is where it's important: start a single screw and give it one turn on so it doesn't pop off. Then start the opposite side just as much. Then get the other two on and then snug it all down in the same order.

Once all four are snug. Thumb tight then grab a screwdriver and give them all a few extra turns.

If you are tightening one side all the way down, the opposite corner thread might not be catching and it could be cross threading which makes it not go down and it gets stuck much earlier than it should.

When you put the cooler down in the socket, you try to push it down flat. Once you start a screw you have to keep one hand on it pressing pretty hard. Not hard enough for the Mobo to flex but you need to keep substantial pressure on the cooler head until all four screws are thumb tight.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
http://m.imgur.com/UFuFo8a See my case blocks the left side, in which I have to dig it in under my case and push my mobo out to get it in, so after it blocks from pushing back out when I put the heat sink on so it doesn't full sit on that side and that's why I'm only getting half the heat sink with thermal paste on it

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
You didn't install standoffs on your motherboard?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it now.

You did install standoffs right? The motherboard isn't really supposed to screw directly onto the case. It could cause electrical shorts if something grounds against the metal.

I'd strongly encourage you do if you did not.

You COULD do it that way, but that just brings that metal case into the back of the motherboard harder, which could cause a short at some point in the future.

TRENDING THREADS