i7 7700k hot hot hot w/ h100i v2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
so i got the i7 and i am hitting numbers on my overclock around up to 95c after 2 min of a small FFTs test. my oc atm is 4.8 ghz with 1.3v but it goes up to 1.312. idle temps are around 30-37c

specs:
i7 7700k cpu
asus z170-a mb
16gb ram
radeon r9 390 gpu
h100i v2 liquid cooling running max on everything, with q fan control disabbled in bios
2 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan replacing the default fans on the radiator
evga supernova 650w gold+ psu

i tried 2 different i7 7700ks and they both run this hot so im thinking it could be something with the water in the liquid cooling? i dont know how to diagnose liquid cooling issues but i know everything is running max rpms. i also under clocked the voltage to 1.18 or so and was still hitting mid 80s. high temps really bother me and i would love this problem to be fixed. thanks!

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Without tucking the backplate in the case and letting it hang out like in the previous picture yielded these results http://m.imgur.com/KrFAWUk it spreaded out evenly, it doesn't look great cause I just put it back on with the thermal compound still on everything just to see if it will spread out even, and it seems like it finally is now

OneFIshSunfish

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I had a similar issue to yours. Make sure the screws that connect the backplate to the mobo (the ones that are threaded on both ends) are flush with the backplate. For clarification make sure you are using the correct screws for your case. There is no need to worry about bending the mobo as the backplate is is designed around in a manner where you are not applying pressure to it during this stage. If necessary, use tools to really get the screws flush.

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
after a realbench test of 10 min the temps maxed out at 90c, so its still running super hot. im running out of ideas on what the issue it, im 4.8ghz and 1.3v

also fans running full rpms

when you tighten the block down

you do x pattern

screw 1

screw 3

screw 2

screw 4

but you dont fully tighten the screws in one go

if you fully tighten screw 1 it will lift the opposite corner

tighten them a little at a time and keep repeating

and once they are all fully finger tight use a screw driver

once the are all fully tightened look at the rear of the board

look carefully at the holes the screws go through to see that all the screws are coming through an equal distance

i always check that

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

ill see over the next day or so, i just want cool temps :(