[SOLVED] I7 7700k idle temps spiking to 70 Deg C

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
I just upgraded my cpu to a i7 7700k on my z170x gaming 3 MB i had an i5 before im OC 4.8ghz @ 1.295v currently as i was around 1.25v and it passed real bench 8hrs but i got some crashes when playing COD Warzone so i put the voltage up steadily to prevent that from happening and this is what ive ended up at. But for some reason when im gaming i never see temps above around 65 degrees but when i boot up my pc my idle temps are around 30-34 degress and then i get random temp spikes upon loading applications of around 70degrees on core 1. I have a kraken x62 liquid cooler is this just an issue with this particular cpu as i know it runs hot as upon stress testing my cpu i was seeing temps in the 80s on any avx tests.

Solution
I don't see anything wrong, if it's not broke don't fix it.

You open a program the CPU speed jumps up so the temp goes up. PC sees the speed is not needed for the program so it drops back down.

The gaming temp is more of a steady load.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Since you did an upgrade, list the changes to the parts. Which BIOS version are you on for that Z170 chipset motherboard? Thermal paste was reapplied properly? What are your ambient room air temps?

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Since you did an upgrade, list the changes to the parts. Which BIOS version are you on for that Z170 chipset motherboard? Thermal paste was reapplied properly? What are your ambient room air temps?

specs are:
CPU: i7 7700k
MB: Z170x gaming 3 bios version f22j
Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 500gb
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 650w P2

all i changed was the CPU and my cooler which i got a NZXT kraken x62 and yes i applied the thermal paste properly i used Artic MX4 thermal paste, i dont know the exact ambient room temps but it is quite hot in the UK atm but i have an ac on most of the day so it should be fairly cool.

Its just odd like i said when gaming i wont go over 60degrees really but when just opening programs like i just opened chrome and steam and i got a spike of 66degrees and then it insta went back down to around 30-35degrees

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see anything wrong, if it's not broke don't fix it.

You open a program the CPU speed jumps up so the temp goes up. PC sees the speed is not needed for the program so it drops back down.

The gaming temp is more of a steady load.

Solution
In Balanced mode, one core will clock to the highest possible turbo speed, so, naturally one cores temps will be higher during the execution of several single threaded tasks.... (If you have an 'MCE' capable mainboard, you'd see all cores hitting max turbo clock speed)