I7 7700k or i7 7700 which is better for this.

Edool14

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Hello once again people of the internet i was just wondering which one of of these cpus are better in my circumstance.

I7 7700k or 7700 which will be better for a gaming and video editor rig?

And will the K version be a better suite for the future? (seeing the new i9's are coming)

Will it matter the GHz difference?

How good are they in terms of running 2 gaming VM's? (6 cores with threads for VM's and 2 for unraid?)

As always any suggestions are very kindly appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

Solution
For video editing i would not recommend either should get ryzen 1700 "8 cores 16 threads" vs 4 cores 8 threads ,Just for gaming if you want to OC the system then go with K type they have the highest single core performance,It seems to me you want to do heavy multi threading /VM you best option is a system with more cores and resources. you can wait a little for intel next lineup with 8 cores and 16 threads but i don't know the cost /performance ratio till they get launched.

Corey Martin

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
The K version is slightly faster (around 15%), so it may make a difference when you're using that one intensive application. If you don't want to spend the extra money the 7700 will do just fine.

aligwashington

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
For video editing i would not recommend either should get ryzen 1700 "8 cores 16 threads" vs 4 cores 8 threads ,Just for gaming if you want to OC the system then go with K type they have the highest single core performance,It seems to me you want to do heavy multi threading /VM you best option is a system with more cores and resources. you can wait a little for intel next lineup with 8 cores and 16 threads but i don't know the cost /performance ratio till they get launched.

Solution

caqde

Distinguished

The i9 series will be expensive and prohibitively so unless your budget is Very big. As you would be spending $100-200 more on the motherboard and another $200-1600 on the processor. Also add in most of the time you will be spending another $100+ for a quad channel memory kit.

Ryzen 1700(X)/1800X would be a better fit for your use case and likely budget. 4 core 8 thread processors will have lots of trouble trying to handle that work load. This would allow you to give 6 (12 Threads) Real cores to one VM and 2 (4 Threads) Real cores to the other VM or however many works best for your needs.

As of note Intel's 8core/16thread X299 chip will run $599 so yeah... AMD's Ryzen 1700 is $300 and is available now.