I7 7700k or Ryzen 1800x

Solution
If gaming is your priority, then the 7700K will be better due to its higher clock speeds and more "traditional" architecture. The 1800X is better at streaming, but if you're going only to do some light video editing the i7 will do better.

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016
If gaming is your priority, then the 7700K will be better due to its higher clock speeds and more "traditional" architecture. The 1800X is better at streaming, but if you're going only to do some light video editing the i7 will do better.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Both would be fine for gaming and streaming, the i7 achieves better frame times and higher average fps than the 1800x in the majority of games, but the 1800x is an 8 core 16 thread workhorse that crushes the 7700k in anything that will make use of all those cores and threads, games not being one of them. Hard to say for strictly gaming and streaming I would probably get the 7700k, but im sure many would say otherwise. What do you mean a 2 pc setup? Build a ryzen and intel system? Not unless your swimming in money, that would be a waste.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Even for gaming I am leaning towards a Ryzen build. Lots of players are reporting significantly higher minimums while gaming with Ryzen. Even though Intel is able to post higher maximums which therefore raises its average FPS, it is the minimums that most concern me. When gaming the minimums are the most distracting and should be considered the primary performance factor.

And, since you wish to do streaming and other productivity tasks, Ryzen should be best.

Deluxe_Maximum

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017

I heard that for streaming you could have a main system that you play the game on and a secondary cheap system to stream on, so that you can get the highest quality while streaming. I dont know for sure though.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I have seen the opposite, frame times is where ryzen seems to struggle the most in gaming.

Deluxe_Maximum

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017

thank you, if i do decide to go ryzen, i will keep this in mind. but i have never overclocked before, so i might be new to it.

Got to support this , on digital foundry.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
If you have an SLI/Crossfire setup wouldn't the 1800X be better since it can handle more PCI lanes than the 7700k? Both gpu's using the full x16 interface instead of just x8 sounds good to me.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

1800X only has 20 PCIe lanes, 4 more than the 7700K. And 4 of those lanes are typically dedicated for an M.2 slot.

Pham Duc Hieu Nhan

Prominent
May 5, 2017
The Intel 7700K has 4 cores and 8 hyper-threads, meanwhile the Ryzen 1800x has 8 cores and 16 threads.AMD said it is a good CPU for gaming, editing and Streaming. The Ryzen 1800x is also support AM4 socket and X370 motherboard. In my opinion, I recommend to use the Ryzen 1800X with A Titan XP or SLI GTX 1080 Ti.